Thursday 16 May 2013



Nothing happened today.  The sun rose and caused a mist.  The day almost got warm.  I got ordered to 'get on with it' by the boss at the museum and returned home so to do.  I fell asleep when I got home.  No news anywhere in the world worth considering.  There was an occasion today when a rant or two crossed my mind, unfortunately it failed to stop and passed on.  Now I am left wondering what agitated me. Surely I ask, surely there must be something in the 'Daily Wail' that would get me going?  Indeed there is, but it is just not worth going over that again.  The fact must be said that no matter how I rant Harriet Harman will never be charged with treason and hung. 
 A book from the museum shelf concerning the town records lies glaring at me.  I have to acquire information from this tome but I don't know what I am looking for!  No change there.  Also scattered around are copies of 'Twenty Years After,' a magazine from the late 30's written by and for the ex-servicemen of the Great War.  I began searching through this for info and got caught up reading bits.  That wasted another hour.  That is one problem with research, so much catches the eye and must be read which means the main subject gets pushed back for a little while, about three hours today!  
I was impressed also today by the impression 'Meccano' left on people.  However I know you all preferred the 'Dinky cars' but would not admit it.  Worldwide folks were all over their floors, up to their knees in metal!  Naturally ONLY BOYS would play with this, however one of my great nieces would probably be very happy in those days.  Her dad being a builder she has always made things.  In fact she used to help him fix the car and now does a car engineering course on Fridays.  When I am rich I will get a car and have her fix it for me, I can't!  
I am also impressed by how much I learn from you lot, there is so much I don't know and I know you will know.  One thing I have learned in the past few years is that I know nothing!  That has been hammered home quite well if nothing else in these days.  
Radio 3 has been renown for the higher arts, many ignore it because of this.  However I find lots of good programmes there and one is 'The Essay.'  A variety of themes are offered in 15 minute bites to satisfy the intellect, well bits of it.  This week a famous author I have never heard off gives a memoir of his life.  You might like it if you can hear it where you reside.
Eight p.m. and nothing done.  I must think quickly, I have decided, it can all wait until tomorrow.


.

6 comments:

alan1704 said...

The magazine 20 years after seems really interesting, the sort of thing that would capture my attention. Dinky Toys now you are talking!

Adullamite said...

Alan, It was bought for £2 at a boot sale.
Actually what I mean is all 40 plus 2 editions were bought for me!
Written by soldiers for soldiers all of whom served in the Great War. Possibly 1935-38, possible that war threat ceased publication, I must do a google for that. Very 30's writing, mostly officers, but worth a read.
I did see similar on ebay a long time ago.

Adullamite said...

Alan, try this:-

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/twenty-years-after/author/swinton/sortby/3/page-1/

Lee said...

It's best to know nothing, Adullamite...or should I say, pretend to know nothing. You get into the least amount of trouble that way - or that's how I've found it to be (most of the time, anyway).

I'm making it my main mantra from now on. I'm going to be like Manuel from Fawlty Towers - "I know nothing!"

The trouble is...I'll probably still get into trouble!

Lately, I've tried to cut down on my daily news gathering/watching/reading as I found myself getting so damn annoyed, angered, feathers ruffled and upset...it's just not worth it. The angst caused is not good for the soul!!

I can't afford to buy another television at the moment - and there are many, many times I want to either jump through the screen or beat it to death with a sledge hammer when I hear about the dastardly, senseless, distressing deeds that are perpetrated; so it's best to turn my mind over to mindless entertainment or pick up a good novel and read that - or do some blogging - or cuddle and talk to my two furry, four-legged mates!!!

Unknown said...

How many years has it been since I started telling you that you would do well to pay close attention to everything I say? One would think that one would catch on long before now, but you are...YOU! Of course, I should take into account just how many balls to the face you have taken over the years, and being the wonderful person I truly am, I will. See there, you could even learn a lot about how to be a better person from me!

Adullamite said...

Lee, I can imagine you getting into trouble......

Jerry, Have you been drinking again?