Friday 9 August 2024

Fir & Fone...


Excitement!
Or at least I thought it was excitement.  
Suddenly this fire engine was stationed outside my window and I began to look at the neighbours to ensure they were not afire.  Then I noticed several firemen, all local volunteers on permanent standby, running about the park opposite.  Thanks however to the trees I could not see what they were running towards.  Soon a hose, a thin hose not the type used for major fires, was running across the road holding up the traffic.  
Why?
They did not say.    
Also annoying is the fact they usually post on facebook an account of any calls they make during the day, so far no comment has been posted. Even worse they took of quickly without letting me know and raced back to their actual jobs silently.
I must say it is some job being a part-time fireman.  We had one next door for a while, young an ambitious he soon took of for London possibly because he had just married.  Before then we often heard him at 3 in the morning running downstairs, bleeper bleeping, as he hurried round the corner to the station five minutes run away.  Most of these men have their own jobs, some self employed of course, but all share the same risks all firemen have to, accident and death occur sometimes.  
Tsk!  I will never get my nosiness fixed.


This brute, photographed in the wrong light, is giving trouble.  All technical things give trouble, including this laptop which keeps joining words together and spelling them badly!  
The phone goes mad on occasions.  It suddenly just spins through all the apps, the clock timer is set to go off 40 times a day, music form YouTube begins and canny be stopped, and this lasts for ages.  There is no way to stop it as it ignores instructions.  Holding the on/off key sometimes brings it to restart, but not always.  
It is old.  
As you know old things work well for years and suddenly bits fall off, it happens to us also.
So I am considering a modern upgrade from the same company.  This will be paid for by money accumulated from past Christmas gifts.  One I saw was only £149 and ought to do all I need.  I have not searched the ones reduced by £250 as they tend to begin at around £800.  Who needs to spend that on a mobile phone?  A business might possibly, someone who spends all day on their phone might, but not me, so this sounds OK.  
But I always hesitate when it comes to spending money, especially that much.  Surely, I think, surely a new microwave or whatever might be more important?  
So I hesitate.
Of course I cannot 'upgrade' this phone, the website no longer mentions this one, it is too old for them.  Surely I have only had it 10 years, or round about that?  But that is outdated these days.  Now I site here holding my bundle of £20 notes cogitating...

Henry Barlow Carter - Scarborough 185

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I knew a chap who was a fireman in pre war London...he joined up on the outbreak of war, was evacuated under fire from Boulogne in 1940 and when the Blitz started was called back to the fire brigade! Then when things calmed down was back in the army again!
If you still have that bundle of twenty quid notes...I have a use for them...

Adullamite said...

Fly, Fire Brigade or army, some choice...