Monday 18 December 2023

Carols!


An enjoyable Carol Service last night.  John did things a wee bit different from the normal routine and it worked well.  A smattering of the usual Christmas faces appeared, though many of ours found it too late and dark to walk this far.  
I particularly enjoyed the kids in front of me, one lass who clearly has been watching 'Sickly Come Dancing' of Saturday nights, attempted to dance through all the songs.  Her younger brothers were less enthusiastic re dancing.
But I was knackered.  
Today, a grey Monday, I intended to do little.  Having made it to Tesco before the crowds I hobbled up the stair and expected a day of leisure.  By 10 am I had been down the stairs twice more for the various postmen delivering parcels.  Happily, they were all for me!  Now I have a small pile in the corner awaiting me.  These however, make me feel guilty that I have not spent enough on others, some I cannot reach, and what I have sent out is nowhere good enough for those receiving, at least in my opinion.  Still, it's the mealy mouthed Scrooge like thought that counts, innit?
As has become my custom, I gave all the women yesterday a bar of chocolate, one of those more expensive types.  None were refused.  The men obtained a miniature of whisky, again, none were refused.  I got nothing in return but enjoyment at doing this.
Actually, one lass did give me a wee box of something, but only one.  Many cards have been going to- and-fro, along with coughs, sneezes and 'coming down with something,' comments.  We await developments.
I am left weary and scared to move towards the bed as they deliver at all hours these days.  Sunday, just after 4 pm a Royal Mail temp delivered a package for me.  What with the roadworks down the way and Amazon drivers habit of calling late there may yet be a ring on the bell tonight.  Me, I just want to stretch, and then lay about for a day or so, the little jobs that need done can wait.   



4 comments:

Kay G. said...

Isn't it wonderful to hear Christmas Carols? I love Christmas music, the carols and just all the Christmas songs that are about the season! Well, almost all of them. "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" is not a favorite.

Jenny Woolf said...

I think you sound like a veritable Santa giving out all that whisky and chocolatebut the joy is indeed often about giving not receiving. I'm glad you are getting lots of parcels, mind you!

the fly in the web said...

You need to set up a hammock by the front door .....settle down with a torch, a book and a miniature of the good stuff.

Adullamite said...

Kay, Grandma's reindeer was not sung here...

Jenny, I quite enjoy making use of the stuff. I get a lot from the people as people.

Fly, Maybe tomorrow...