Sunday 9 July 2023

Slovenly Sabbath


This was the threat today, along with thunder and lightning and heavy rain.
Feeling a bit peaky over the past couple of days I was intending to remain indoors anyway, so I spent some time watching the weather on 'Microsoft Edge' bringing the rain across at the time I normally leave on a Sunday morn.
They said it would arrive at 10 minutes to 10, but it failed to come.
They said it would be 'light rain,' and it did arrive at 10 minutes past 10, and failed to drop any rain.
'Moderate rain,' was to follow shortly after, the clouds darkened, but no rain fell.
Innit just marvellous!
On any other Sunday I would have proceeded out, as the weather looked OK, and got drenched half way down the road.  Today nothing.  I will trust the BBC from now on.


So, instead of trekking out I remained indoors intent of reading one of these.
I have one I bought back in the 80s when the NIV first arrived.   It is showing signs of wear, not always because of constant reading I should emphasise, and requires to be put aside on the 'retired book shelf.'  It was as I glanced at the scribbles inside the front pages I found a little thing from the late 70s.  I was in the hospital, and short of cash.  One Sunday evening I found myself full of 'faith,' that the money I needed for the week would arrive.  At that time I required £1 a day.  Being paid on Thursdays meant I needed £3 for the week.  I knew this would arrive.
Monday morning I arrived at work as my usual happy self, "Here's old misery," said John the cook as I entered.  I ignored him, and the collection off lesser staff gathered around the front door at 7:30 in the morning.  
I remained full of faith, and on my clock card, remember them?  I found a cheque for £3.
This was a payment owned me by the NHS which had not been paid via my wages as it ought to be.
God moves in a mysterious way his wonders to perform.
So many times, when down on my 'uppers' the Good Lord has provided in interesting ways.
He never leaves us.
(Mind you, he does not make us rich either!)


An answer to my query has arrived.
One of my favourite, beautiful, and highly talented nieces had sent this beer to me.
She has also sent a card which has, so far, not appeared.  This may be because of the incompetence of the Royal Mail management, or some 'dick' pinching it thing money was included.  How wrong he would be.  It may appear one day, as may others that have not arrived.  



I have spent some time in these days looking in to the 'Tour.'
Not that I am really all that interested in who wins these days but I do like watching the background scenery.  
Today and yesterday there was an abundance of small, tight knit villages.  Usually a church and a castle or some once proud, but now broken down building from the days of long ago is glanced as we pass.  These villages today were astonishing.  Crammed together cheek by jowl, as they say, it indicated something of the history of the region, though all I could think was how everyone must have known everything about everyone!  No secrets here.  
I am also impressed at men cycling 100 miles and climbing hills at 15 mph, sometimes faster.  Now, for myself I often had to climb off and push the bike, and that was going downhill!  How do these men do this?  Over 4 hours of cycling today, finishing up a steep, and very high hill, with a wonderful view, but a killer for the man who led so long and got beat at the last.
I think I will make sure I still have my Bus Pass.

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

The tour came through our village one year.....the village asked for a sprint to take place...well, the mayor, not the village, the village just paid.

Adullamite said...

Flt, Anything to put the village on the map.