Saturday 12 September 2020

Cars, Furniture and Fire

Why are car ads so bad?
I rarely watch TV but the ads offered in between football or cricket bare little resemblance to the car on offer.  On one, a female ballet dances around for no good reason while the car putters about.  What is it saying?  Cultured car?  Take up dancing?  What does this tell us about the vehicle itself?
Another features a man, in slow motion, diving into a swimming pool, why?  Is this saying watch out you have driven into the pond? 
All is image, and all image is meaningless to me.  
Possibly there are people out there highly influenced by these ads, I suggest they get themselves a life.  I wonder if anyone who actually knows about cars is impressed by the ads?  Certainly those who think themselves important, those 'on the up' will be impressed if an ad featured a 'big car' driven by a 'Big man,' they will buy one as this shows them they have made it.  Poor fools.    
Nothing wrong with the car of your dreams, I await my Landrover arriving, I have waited a long time, and nothing wrong with succeeding and having such cars.  However, all cars are sold by image, what then does that say about people who are impressed by car adverts?  What sort of life are they hoping for?


Sir Terence Conran has died.  He was the man who gave us the 'Habitat' shops and they say, 'revolutionised the way we live.'  Hmmm.  I wandered through the Chelmsford shop a few years ago and found myself checking the high prices and wondering in the 'Habi' part of the name was required. On show was a lot of cheap furniture, made out of cheap wood, fancy designs occasionally, but always with a big, needless, price tag.  Was it because it became fashionable it 'revolutionised our lives?'  Or was it for the actual style on offer?  I am afraid hs shop made me look at the 'Sue Ryder charity shop furniture section' for better quality and longer lasting furniture.  Indeed, my house is almost all second hand, rather like my humour...



One thing that caught my eye was the sight of small US towns obliterated by the fires hanging over Oregon.  I grumble about laptops or the milk being off while others are looking at a pile of ash and wondering where their house has gone.  Small town America would never be my idea of home, but we must sympathise with those who no longer have a home, who may have lost all insurance documents, and who may have lost friends or even family in the fire.  
Our life is not so bad after all.
 

1 comment:

the fly in the web said...

Horrifying to have to gather all your necessaries, grab your pets and run for it. Blogging friends tell the story...not directly affected themselves, except for the smog, but worrying about family in the fire zones.
As for the car ads....the mind boggles. When we have to replace the Japanese tin box all I want to know is whether it can take the road up to town, can I get spare parts and how much does it eat.
Mark you, people are easily fascinated. In a suoermarket last week they had an offer on those robot hoovers...the ones which creep round your house and trip you up. A television screen was showing a viseo of the Thing in action and eight people were solemnly watching it...
What's that you say? Was there no football....?