Wednesday 3 February 2016

Sleepy Wednesday


After I trudged my weary way home yesterday (56 kids almost all at once!) I followed the normal procedure of laying my head on the desk and switching on the laptop.  It didn't work!  I picked my head up and pushed this and touched that, internet dead totally dead.  The laptop worked as always but the web was unreached.  No matter what I did nothing would work until I was so fearful of the silence I turned on the TV and left the machine to stew.  Fifty channels on pap so I ended up with the 24 BBC news where I discovered the while of BT's output was damaged by an 'outage!'  Some outage as most of the UK was outaged!  When the internet returned it was about seven in the evening and I was beginning to see spiders crawling up the wall!  I was also worried I would miss the football and a cold sweat was running down my back.
Once again I had that strange feeling of silence.  Not a chosen silence but an internet lost silence.  The world seems suddenly to be dull, life empty and having the TV on to fill the gap does not help, especially when it is full of pap.  How did we live before the internet?  How did we follow football?  How did we keep in touch with people or things?  Some folks were out overnight and some of those run businesses what a hindrance for them this must have been.  I suffered also and now I await my compensation, 72 pence for loss of web and £600,000 for emotional hurt. 



In spite of a chill in the wind that appears to have been kept in the fridge the daffs have come out all over the land.  The council ones have broken through about two months early and when Spring arrives there will be none left.  The birds are confused by the mild weather just as we are.  Still I prefer this to the snow we had before.
It was much better on Monday when I had to crawl into the museum to aid 74 children in their shopping.  This was fun as both days kids were all six year olds and had no idea about the counting business.   With our advice however most managed to get something they liked and some managed to get at least four things for their £3.  It is quite hard having to break their hearts when telling them three things worth £4:99 are out of their league and they must choose to drop one, this can take time.  The teachers on both days were good which helps and all went off happy.
I have been asleep three times today to recover...


5 comments:

Lee said...

Because my previous response was so long, I'll keep this one short. The length of my comment might've been the cause of the internet crashing!! The world is a different, even more frustrating place without the Net!

Unknown said...

Alas, I am always in a tizzy when there is something wrong with the computer or internet service, but when both are working well, I rarely take full advantage of it.

the fly in the web said...

When I don't need the internet it works wonderfully,but once I need to sort out something urgent it goes into village idiot mode or just dies...

Mother would like the Star Wars zimmer frame...

Adullamite said...

Lee, It was your fault!!!

Jerry, I'm to knackered today to make use of it.

Fly, I'll see if I can get one for mother, she would love it!

Lee said...

It always is, Mr. Ad-Man...for everything! ;)