Sunday 24 November 2013

Today's Highlight



Today's highlight has been the cheery chirping of the starlings as they gather together on the rooftops.  How these birds like to chatter!  You may have come across a tree, or indeed trees full of these boys talking loudly at or to each other, very nice when passing but dreadful if they choose a tree outside your window!  A thousand starlings do not a restful night make.  These birds often flock together high up on the Police radio mast.  They cover it with around a thousand at times, all chattering, and no doubt leaving a message for those below while they are at it!  It appears to me that there are fewer these days, maybe it's the climate or the food supply, the bad weather of the last couple of years caused by the moving jet stream, or possibly they have moved town.  I read somewhere that Dickens, once a famous writer, wrote about the millions of starlings that roosted in the centre of London.  It appears they gathered from miles around, flying in from places like Kingston to gather in Leicester Square.  Certainly years ago I saw them filling the trees there but the mess was such that Ken Livingstone the then London Mayor was forced to take action and the place may well have been renovated by now.  The spread of London may well keep many further out as they sought to roost in the warm centre, plenty heat elsewhere nowadays.  

It is quiet tonight.  Rarely does a car roll past the window, although a rolling car is something I would not wish outside my window, a dog barks occasionally in between sniffing trees over in the park, footsteps hurry past rushing to get away from the icy cold.  An unidentified beastie flits between the trees lit only by the dark amber street lights, the branches wave listlessly in the slow, cold wind.  The loudest sound is the cheap clock bought from the pound shop, its only competition the occasional whining of the laptop which, like me, wishes to sleep.  Abed people contemplate the morn.  The rush to work, if there is any, the joy of school for some, the word 'joy' being used in the satirical manner here, plans rush through peoples heads while providence may be planning other happenings for them, oh the joys of a Sunday night as the new week beckons.  
Shall I plan my day, make a 'to do' list, or will I just rise, eat breakfast, and return to my pit for a few hours?  Yes that sound s best, I hope you can do so also. 


.

5 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I remember the gatherings of starlings in France.
Usually they headed nto the nearest town for the night and then out again in the morning, but there were times when they roosted in the field in front of the house and in the surrounding trees and hedgerows.
I once saw them taking off...all up, circling..and then they turned as one with what sounded like a sonic bang.

Fat chance of turning over in bed here...we've been given a poodle puppy whose bladder capacity takes precedence.

Lee said...

A sensible decision. I did similar on my Sunday which was yesterday, seeing today is Monday here!

Jenny Woolf said...

An atmospheric post.... and yes, I think there are fewer starlings than there were. I just love to see a huge crowd of them,despite the noise, and, I suppose, the bird poo if you happen to be nearby.

Adullamite said...

Fly, They used to gather in numbers here and as they swooped and flew by they were an impressive sight.
However they do appear to be lessening in numbers.

Lee, It's Monday here but night there while darkness falls ere and light arrives there....I'm confused...

Jenny, Impressive in flight, and close up they tend to fly in groups, possibly family groups of a dozen or so.

Lee said...

Nope...it was daylight when I wrote my comment above...mid-morning or early afternoon...thereabouts.

And it's 5.49 am Tuesday morning as I write this one...and it's daylight; and it has been so for some time; sunrise was at 4.42 am.