Wednesday 2 January 2013

Cold and Wet



The day we wandered to Poole Bay the weather was cold and wet, the wind blew a gale, and the inclination to believe this was a summers day was strong!  Such was the power of the wind that holding the camera was difficult, hence the pictures are not sharp, and the water was jumping over the edge towards us as we walked.  Many of the small dinghy's near the waters edge were in two minds as to whether they ought to just sink the 18 inches to the sea bed or remain half submerged.  In the distance stands Brownsea Island where Baden Powell held the first Boy Scout Jamboree before the Great War.  Owned by a rich woman for years the island became protected, so we were not allowed to walk over the water to visit.  Instead we forced our caps down over our heads and returned to the car.


Winds like this bring out the windsurfers and many are found in the safe bay area.  Only one was there today, many others crammed into a large van pulling a trailer of such boards and resisted the temptation to catch frostbite.  This fellow spent some time roaming around at speed, falling over, struggling up, and racing off again.  The fact that the bay slopes also encourages water skiing!  The houses overlooking this point start at around two and a half million and rise steeply thereafter. 
   

The calmer waters around Christchurch suffered the same cold wind but revealed the money available for some in these days of austerity.  The narrow opening from the Bay ensures this is a quiet place to moor.  Large numbers of boats can be seen sheltering here on Google Maps.  Personally I find the hard work involved in sailing such craft needless now that motors are available, some folks however take their boats around the world, fighting the raging seas by pulling on ropes and watching the waves at varying angles.  


I have to admit however this looked a fine little ship to me.  Looks older than the rest or maybe it is my fertile imagination.  Does it ever see the sea?  Has this wee boat visited lands afar off and have stories to tell?  It seems a shame to buy such as a mere 'tax dodge' as some do, or waste thousands on a boat and never use it.  The idea of sitting aboard such and just letting the world pass by while drinking tea and cogitating on a fine day has great appeal to me however.  What thinkest thou? 
   
.

5 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I used to like sailing and that looks like a nice little number to me...
But I preferred warmer weather!

Lee said...

Even though I've lived on two island; and on one of them I lived alone...just me, my two cats and whatever wild life inhabited the island (that did include some visiting trawlers and fishermen!) the thought of being stuck out in the middle of the ocean in a little sailing vessels had never thrilled me. I had the opportunity and offers to do so a couple of times, but each time knocked them back. It's not my idea of a good time at all. But I can understand that others do love it; it's just not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

And, to add to my weirdness...I love bleak, dank, grey days at the seaside as much as the clear, sunny, hot/warm days.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Being on the sea should only happen in warm climes.

Lee, I love any time spent by the sea!

Unknown said...

Alas, I have been trying (for quite some time, mind you) to leave a complimentary comment that wouldn't be taken as being snarky. Since I keep failing miserably, I will retire from the field for now. If it would make you feel better, I could ask Grace to come over and say something as only she can.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, Grace would not be of an intellectual level to comprehend the comments on here.