Sunday 25 January 2009

Rabbie Burns 250th Anniversary

Rabbie Burns has long been Scotland's favourite bard. This year commemorates the 250th anniversary of his birth. A brief life is given here, and a fuller description of his poetry and all can be found on this excellent site.

Here is one of his most successful poems.

Fareweel to a' our Scottish fame,
Fareweel our ancient glory;
Fareweel ev'n to the Scottish name,
Sae fam'd in martial story.
Now Sark rins over Solway sands,
An' Tweed rins to the ocean,
To mark where England's province stands-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English stell we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But English gold has been our bane-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

O would, or I had seen the day
That Treason thus could sell us,
My auld grey head had lien in clay,
Wi' Bruce and loyal Wallace!
But pith and power, till my last hour,
I'll mak this declaration;
We're bought and sold for English gold-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you not corrupted enough fair maidens in your time without adding another sweet lass by the name of Jill over at "Travel To--My Scotland" to your list? No, do not even try to deny that you both came up with posts about Rabbie Burns on your own. For I suspect some collaborating going on here, and I demand satisfaction!!!

Adullamite said...

Scotland produces bright intellectual people, who recognise others among them who have talent.
I suppose as a colonial this will be unusual for you dear man!

Unknown said...

Oh, I have no doubt that the lovely Ms. Jill is a product of all that is great about Scotland. Methinks that you must have washed up on the shore from a distant land that would rather remain anonymous, however, and it troubles me greatly that her spotless reputation will be forever tarnished by assoicating with the likes of you!!!

Terence McDanger said...

I've never seen that poem before, I like the sentiments!