Thursday 24 August 2023

Thursday Mumble


Another summers day in Essex.
I have been half asleep all day.  I woke early, half asleep, had breakfast half asleep, and scribbled a couple of emails before 8 am, half asleep.
I may not get a response!
There has been a lot of scribbling, but not much progress.   The hoovering, like the exercising, has not got itself done.  There again neither has the ironing.
However, the last washing has been attended to.  
A blanket required a scrub, this was done.  After a long wash, like they all are these days, 2 hours and 6 minutes!  The blanket came out.  Though after it finished I forgot to remove it for two hours again.
Unfortunately the rim of the blanket has problems.   This I discovered when a cloud of white specks formed around me and remain, even now, on the filthy floor.  A white carpet of woollen bits that is getting everywhere!  
They can wait until tomorrow and the hoovering will finally get done...


The football at least returns tonight.  We play the Greek side PAOK hoping to do better than Hibernian did last night, losing 5-0 against Aston Villa.  Whatever happens, I just hope we make a game of it.
Again I am amazed by the wonder of it all.  I can sit here watching on a laptop a football match taking place 400 miles away.  A short time lag, sometimes as much as a minute, may occur, but it is amazing that I can see this game live.  In days of yore we relied on the wireless to hear a commentator at a game.  Before that we could only read newspaper reports, never trustworthy at that.  Now I can watch the game almost live.
During the period from the mid 70s until the late 80s I saw little football, and what was available was always English.  It was as though I was living in a foreign country, not a United Kingdom.  Newspapers were rare then, radio and TV information almost unheard off, and nobody in this nation cared.  There is no United Kingdom, Scotland is just a colony of an imperialist England.  Without Scotland England would die, and they know it.  It is time to ensure this happens.

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Sitting up at night to listen to the test match from Australia on a crackly radio.....mark you, i still have to listen to a Test match rather than watch it as the channels were think cricket is an insect, but at least the sound is good and I can do it all on replay at a less unholy hour than when I was young.

Adullamite said...

Fly, With a multitude of channels it is a wonder you canny find cricket.