Saturday 26 August 2023

Beasties


Todays boring post concerns Bluebottles.  Yes those nasty large flys that usually come in one window, 
flutter around and depart by the way they entered.  This week life has been different.  All week such beasties have entered by the back window, moved to the main window, and remained there.
Now this happens often with worker Bees, and as far as I can make out a hive has found a home in our attic, thus Bees are coming in regularly.  These beasts need help escaping, bluebottles usually just wish to run away.  This is not happening now.  Every time I look up there are three or four wandering across the glass, none appear capable of returning or seeking to return by the way they entered.  This I keep having to rise, open the window, let in the draught, it is chilly today, and force them out.
I wonder why they are doing this, instead of escaping?
Is it the weather?  Do they think it is Spring?  Are they Donald Trump supporters?  I am bemused, this has not occurred before.  What is more bemusing is the removal of anything they could eat.  All rubbish has been dumped, what is bringing them in?  
It is all very confusing for a Saturday.


Through in the west wing I found this wee boy hanging about the window.  I am actually happy to see him, whatever kind or size of spider he may be, as this is a better way to curtain the other less welcome beasties that can be found at this time of year.  
I cleared away some old webs the other day, clearly there are areas that see few unwelcome guests, and am happy to allow such as he where he can settle in for a while.  One or two webs have been found in the same spot for years, clearing the enemy from the house and keeping a 'Boris the Spider' quite happy.  My only other worry about these creatures is finding a quite large spider, then not knowing where it went!  

St Petersburg

4 comments:

Kay G. said...

We have always had screens on our windows here in Georgia to keep out flies, mosquitoes and other insects! Mansions don't have them, I guess they never open their windows! I wonder if the Zevo device would work on your flies. We just got one due to fruit flies and it seems to be working. I had to look up who invented it, Chris Smith, a Proctor and Gamble scientist. Simple invention but effective.

Adullamite said...

Kay, Indeed screens would work if the infestation continues. However, the weather has changed, and the beasties appear to be lessening. Tomorrow I aill have to clean all the windows. Bah!

the fly in the web said...

Having the doors open back and front we have insects of all sorts...but also have resident - or so it seems - wry necked wrens, who regard this as a moveable feast and swoop on them rapidly.One family rules the back door area...another the front.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I have no birds to help, though I do allow the spiders room if they build nests near the flies.