Tuesday 12 January 2010

Dreich



Dreich indeed today. Gray clouds overhead, occasionally releasing flurries of snow that swirl around, neither big enough to lie deep and crisp and even, nor small enough to avoid irritating those wandering through them. When I sat inside, suffering soup in which I had foolishly forgotten to add the imitation 'Oxo' cubes, I watched the sun break through and the sky, briefly, turn blue. When I left an hour later the scene above greeted me. Standing stark and tall, bare of leaves, and shivering in the cold, this tree dominated the scene as I passed by.How long until the buds start to sprout? How long till the birds can gather under her leaves to avoid the heat? How long until this dreich, cold weather runs away back where it belongs at the Arctic circle? I am left wondering how those who suffer six months of darkness survive?

6 comments:

1st Lady said...

In a matter of 24hrs the snow has all gone here, it was pretty while it lasted and I'm almost missing the stuff now.. roll on Spring blooms (not to be confused with spring bloomers).

Mike said...

Graham I admit I had to use a dictionary for "dreich" but soon discovered it as a word of Scottish origin.

Lets hope the sun soon shines in your adopted homeland.

Unknown said...

There are also those who can suck the warmth out of even the sunniest of days to consider.

Adullamite said...

It's snowing again!

Relax Max said...

Scant evidence of the global warming here today either. A nice picture. I like stark, leafless trees in winter.

Adullamite said...

You can have plenty of those here today Max!