Tuesday 7 May 2013

Look Up!


I was listening to Heather Couper blethering away on her 15 minute programme Cosmic Quest earlier and it struck me how rarely we see the stars today.  Even on dark winters nights we rarely consider the heavens above us, rushing to and fro, wrapped up against the cold we tend not to stop and stare upwards.  Even if we were to do so would we see anything?  Our world is so polluted by light, necessary light at that, that the wonders of the stars are rarely observed.  Few of us live in areas isolated enough from those orange streets lights enabling us a glimpse of what is above.  The park opposite does offer the possibility of such sights of course, however the abundance of brats loitering there tends to make this difficult unless a Kalashnikov is in ones possession.  

The heavens declare the Glory of God they say, and indeed they do!  Vast numbers of planets, stars, galaxies and who knows what out there.  Huge clouds of dust cover thousands of miles either forming planets or the remnants of collapsed ones.  The only thing not seen are space ships carrying wee green men.  Such as they are found only on earth.  Some years ago, during the Soviet days, reports of aliens appeared regularly from the far reaches of the Soviet Union.  At the same time young girls were reporting visions of the Virgin Mary in Latin countries, while in the UK people were constantly finding Elvis Presley at work in local Burger bars.  I feel these may all be one and the same thing myself.

Go out and find a clear sky and see if you can find these images near you!  Hubble Images


7 comments:

Helen Devries said...

Where I lived in France there was a camp site which was visited by a dutch family each year...just to be able to see the sky without light pollution.

Not for nothing was it called La France Profonde.

Lee said...

As I was driving to the local supermarket yesterday I passed Elvis going the other way on his Harley.

He smiled and waved...he must have been on a break from flipping burgers.

Unknown said...

A couple of my most amazing memories of my days out there truckin' involved heavenly bodies--just not the kind I most wanted to be involved with. Sigh.

Anyway, one occurred when on a clear night out on I-40 just to the west of the Texas border in New Mexico, the sky started turning more and more a shade of green, and then a very bright object (coming up from behind) zipped past me at a fairly low altitude and disappeared under the horizon almost straight in front of me. For several minutes, not a sound could be heard coming over the CB radio, and then someone said, "Did anyone else see that?" Now, I don't know about anyone else out there at the time, but I sure breathed a shy of relief when it became evident that I had not been seeing things. A few days later, I heard a radio (AM/FM) news report about a meteor landing somewhere in the near vicinity of Vaughn, New Mexico that night, which solved the mystery for me.

The other incident that I am referring to occurred one crystal clear night somewhere between Fort Worth and Amarillo, Texas on US 287 when I could see the Milky Way through the remains of bugs left on my windshield (or windscreen, to prissy people). I pulled over when I found a safe place to do so and stared up at it until I got a crick in my neck. I am glad I did. For that is the last time I can remember actually seeing the Milky Way, and that was around 15 tears ago (I think).

Kay G. said...

Are the stars out tonight?
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright.
I only have eyes for you.

alan1704 said...

The heavens do declare the glory of God, every star placed by a loving hand. I once bought a pair of binoculars to view them, but i rained so much i could never see any!

Look at the moon now, and wonder how on earth man build a rocket and landed there. Makes me wonder!

Adullamite said...

Helen, Sounds good!

Lee, have you been reading about UFO's again?

Jerry, I have only once stood and watched the Milky Way, an astonishing sight! Only one 'shooting star' also. I waited for the bang like a fool!

Kay, I can understand that......

Alan, Indeed rain makes astronomy a bit difficult here.

Lee said...

No, Adullamite...not reading about them....flying with and in them!!!