Saturday 3 September 2011

Sunshine Saturday

.

This was an attempt to catch the early morning dew glinting on the brightly coloured floats at the children's shows in the park.  There is something about the early morning sunshine, yet I fail to catch it well with this little camera. I would have attempted some more but the guy running it was out and about and I spent a time chatting to him about his life, the goods left behind by people et al.  By the time we finished the sun was rising higher and my breakfast was calling loudly! I thought about some pics here yesterday but frown upon taking pics of kids in case some neurotic wifey jumps on me! The colours are attractive but when I was a lad the real 'shows' ('fairs' to the English audience) were what we visited in the dark!  When I was about four the began to arrive and the noise, lights and possibilities were a huge attraction.  I loved those small kids roundabouts that featured well made cars and buses, which you could actually climb upstairs on, and other such vehicles. By the time I was ten I was fascinated by rolling those big old pennies down the slot in a vain attempt to get rich, it never worked. I was no young to appreciate that you never win on those!  I remember staring into the dark night sky, the great 'ERF' lorries in the background, noisy engines running to power the lights, as searchlights beamed on a woman balancing on the end of a pole a hundred feet in the sky!  Actually as she twirled and swung herself around it was probably only about twenty feet high, but I was not that tall then either. My sister, fifteen years at the time, had a stand up fight with my dad which I can clearly remember.  She and her slightly older mate were off down to the 'shows' to meet the men working there and dad was worldly wise enough to ensure she was not going to get there, she didn't!  Ah memories, so long ago, and now I forget what I was doing a few minutes ago....hmmm what's that burning smell...?  Oh the oven...




.  

6 comments:

Relax Max said...

You'd have thought searchlights would be banned at night during the war.

Mike Smith said...

You beat me to it, Max!

Unknown said...

It was so considerate of you to engage that feller in some polite conversation. (Oh how I wish you would hurry-up and win that fortune so that I can quit leaving these sickening-sweet comments!)

Adullamite said...

Max, Grrrrrrrrr

Mike, Grrrrrrrrr

Fish, That's better.

Anonymous said...

My dad, a soldier stationed in England briefly during the war, wasn't allowed to light a fag at night. Oh, don't tell me we were doing blackouts better than the Brits... tsk, tsk.

Adullamite said...

Several people are in line for a slap!