Tuesday 5 January 2010

Cold Weather



I do complain about this cold weather, and rightly so! I feel that my rightful place is amongst the sunshine that is scattered so freely towards the centre of the planet but appears so fleetingly in my life. Tonight, the cheery weather folk tell us, snow will make its way from Scotland and the north of England and cover us in deep layers of the white stuff! The 'Daily Mail,' in the usual calm manner, has a headline 'Met Office Forecasts 18 Inches of Snow!' I doubt we will receive 18 inches, two or three would be bad enough, and I suspect the temperature will fall to below zero.
However this is nothing really. In a few days this will end, with flurries on and off until Spring actually arrives. However today Beijing, the Chinese capital, recorded a temperature of minus 60 at one point! In many places it was so cold the heating would not work! I also came across Christians in prison in North Korea, a place on a similar latitude to Beijing, who are imprisoned for their faith, in jails without heating I would imagine. Thousands locked away, many suffering like their fellow citizens from malnutrition, in temperatures lower than many of us could withstand! So while it may be depressing, and cold weather is, and while it may be dark and dismal, at least we are a lot better off than many.  



I stole this picture!  It comes from one of those intriguing sites that at first look somewhat dull but actually contain some excellent items. This site gives us a postcard each day and some, like the one shown are very interesting indeed. This picture shows the original post box, an idea of Anthony Trollope the author and Post Office employee. Situated at Barnes Cross, Holwell, near Sherbourne in Dorset the box was first used in the 1850's and even old Mike cannot remember that far back, I think. The uniform shown dates from that time and is reminiscent of some of the gear worn during the 1970's, although not by me! I recommend this site as there are some excellent postcard shown there. The photography is often marvellous and the subjects, ancient and modern, often intrigue. Some time ago I passed through London Bridge Station on a Saturday and there were numerous stalls selling postcards.I was surprised at just how many, and indeed how much! There are numerous other postcards sites also, but I think this is one worth a look!   A Postcard a Day.  

4 comments:

Mike Smith said...

There's at least 18 inches of snow in Mayfield, Dalkeith tonight. I've never seen so much snow...

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

You mean the flares aren't genuine 1850s? I did wonder.

Thank you kindly for the mention. I'll let the "rather dull" part go for the time being. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I would love to see a picture of you in your summer uniform with the short pants. Please, kind sir, would you grant us a trip down memory lane for historical purposes (of course)?

Adullamite said...

18 inches of snow? At least that keeps you out the pubs.

Sheia, I only said that for the sake of the dimwits, represented here as you see, who pop in to the blog.

I never wear shorts! However one postman was in the paper yesterday as he is still wearing his in spite of the deep snow. he is clearly crackers right enough!