Wednesday 3 April 2013

Old Hooses



I've spent the day sorting out the pictures of town houses and lining them up with the 'Listed Buildings' list.  I wonder who decides what is listed?  Some years ago a TV show followed a lass wandering about listing buildings, but what training had she?  What authority to decide? This is important as a listed building requires authority to amend or repair.  Almost all here are Grade II but some houses, especially those of specific interest, must be kept as they are, this costs money!  I suppose a council employee must be the one given this charge, but the thought crossed my mind today that I have no idea who is responsible.  The door above is in good enough condition but my eye noticed the letterbox is quite large, normal size, and that is unusual on such an old property.  That could lead to instructions to replace the door as before, at your own cost, or even a fine I suspect.


The lack of stone meant the use of timber frames and plaster for house building.  The walls are often decorated with designs such as the one above, which I cannot recall where I found the thing!   This is a small one, some houses have large designs from the distant past which are well worth a look.  Whether there was a pattern to these or whether the were done just as someone's fancy took them I know not, but they are excellent.  

   
I wonder if this was an actual gas lamp in days of yore?  Knowing this town it may have been gas until recently.  Still, it helps improve the looks of the pub where it may have shone for many years.  Or not as the case may be.    

.

4 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

That patterned stuff in east anglia is called pargeting. It's a kind of plasterwork and I 've seen houses in Suffolk with quite elaborate designs. If you want to see a good one go to see the Lakeland Plastics shop in Ipswich. Idiotic place for Lakeland Plastics but it's a wonderful house called the Ancient House, worth a visit actually..

Lee said...

Let's hope those wonderful lamps stay as is...they look so beautiful.

Unknown said...

Back when I took courses to become a licensed real estate agent, and later on a full broker, it came as a great shock to me to find that an agent's fiduciary is generally with the seller, which means that they are (by law) on the seller's side and not required to disclose anything to a buyer that the seller does not authorize. So, I decided to open a buyer's brokerage--complete with a property inspection service to determine what shape a house/building may really be in, but with no start up funds and the rest of real estate community adamantly opposed to such, my buyer's brokerage never made it out of the planning stage. For the way it generally works over here, the commission paid to real estate brokers, which is passed down to the agents under them, is paid by the seller and is part of the overall price for a property. Oh, and they are not legally obligated to share any part of that commission when another broker sends a buyer their way on a property that they have an exclusive right to sell contract on, which is the way most properties are listed because of most real estate brokerages not making as much of an effort to sell a property that they do not have exclusive rights to. Therefore, in order for my buyer's brokerage to make any money, I would have had to charge a flat-rate and make sure the final price reflected any part of the regular sales commission that another broker might share with me. Needless to say, none of the other brokers were will willing to share anything with me and buyers were quite reluctant to have to pay extra for my service without it being established that I could be saving them a lot of money and headaches down the road, if the property really was not as good as it looked. Yes, there are all sorts of rules in place to protect a buyer, but they can be easily skirted by those who just want to collect that 6% sales commission.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Aye that's all over East Anglia. I think it very good.

Lee, So does the publican.

Jerry, Estate agents here are considered lower than MPs or tabloid journalists. In Scotland the system is different so they are better regarded, but not much.