Wednesday, 22 July 2026

'The Great War,' by the 'Amalgamated Press.

I am actually attempting, slowly, to get rid of some books.  The books in question are 13 volumes of 'The Great War,' by the 'Amalgamated Press.    

 
I bought these, for £30, from a friend of a friend about a dozen years ago, when I was in my pomp re the Great War.  At that time I was volunteering in the little Essex museum, a great place to be it must be said, but since then my mind has grown tired, and I have no more use for them.  
They have some excellent photographs throughout, which make it well worth a view if someone is new to the subject.  You will then have to decide for yourself, taking into account the opinions of the age, whether the writing is accurate in its judgements.  
 
 




Though the covers are somewhat frayed, they are quite old you realise, inside the pages appear complete.  Obviously I have not been through each an every page, just those relevant to my search, but I think they are fine.  'Good,' as they say in second hand bookshops.
I did contact a school that makes a great deal about teaching the Great War, in the hope that these may be useful to them.  No charge would have been made.  However, there was no reply, so I must try again to find someone who can make use of them.  
Of course, you will have to come and collect, no way I can parcel these up, and no way I can deliver.  Getting them downstairs will be hard enough for me at the moment.  
The public, especially the middle classes, of the war years were desperate for information regarding the war.  So, many publications will have appeared on the streets, some lasting until the end, others dying through lack of sales, or lack of employees as fighting continued.  Information is the great thing in war, which is why even today the governing classes control the media, press, TV and radio, leaving us to search for alternative opinions.  No internet in 1914 so the press was the main means of communication, good and bad.  You can make your own mind up about how good this magazine's coverage turned out.
 

No comments: