Saturday 23 September 2017

So Quiet


So quiet just now.  The TV is off, the radio is off, and I sit in silence awaiting six O'clock.  This is important as at six BBC ALBA will offer the full game between St Johnstone and Hamilton Accies hence the silence.  Anything I listen to is likely to offer the score inadvertently so I sit with no noise, scared even to play You Tube in case it appears there.  Ah Radio 3 Jazz!  That fills a gap.
Had the weather been better had my health been better then I would be outside avoiding radios and observing the world, instead I linger here reading books and burning chicken for tea.


I took some objects to the museum early on for the next exhibition, something about the 60's, 70's and 80's which appear like yesterday to me but ancient history to some.
I remembered today the men I worked with when I left Edinburgh in 1975, several were in their late 50's and early 60's and it was interesting to consider that if they still lived they would be around a hundred years old.  In my mind of course they remain as I remember them, fit, healthy and bossing me around.  The women who threw themselves at me, or at least threw some things at me, will no longer be lithe young slips of girls, grandmothers all and yet here I am just as I was then, youthful, handsome and ........  *fill in as appropriate. 
Nostalgia is not what is was and that is why we are having an exhibition covering the Christmas period (note Christmas is less than 100 days away) and offering something many in the town will wish to remember.  They will also wish to visit the photos I am about to steal from them to offer for the exhibition!  Photos of people, places that no longer exist and then they can mutter and groan how "It was better back then" even if then they spent the time grumbling as to how it could be improved!  This they deny!  
Now, where are my Hippy beads...?

  

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Burnt chicken tea? It does indeed explain a lot.

the fly in the web said...

I am sorry that you are still under the weather...take less water with the whisky!
I remember the older colleagues when I started work...a bit suspicious of women entering their world, but very gentlemanly and kind, most unlike today's backbiters and politickers from what I gather from young friends still in the business...and, surprise, surprise, the women are the worst!

Adullamite said...

Jerry, Common here...

Fly, Bitchy women? Never!

Jenny Woolf said...

The museum could always be nostalgic about LAST CHRISTMAS I suppose. But I think your take on it is better. I'm researching family history at the moment but so far haven't found out anything about Christmases past.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Family history is compelling, it is strange what may turn up.

Lee said...

I hope you're feel 110% better by now, Mr. Ad-Man...take good care. :)

Adullamite said...

Lee,, Cough, splutter...