Thursday 21 September 2017

Autumn


Autumn has definitely arrived.  The leaves are yellowing, many falling, the rain ensures many more will fall and bring delight to those who have the job of clearing them from paths, roads, pavements and so on.  I remember that job well, finish one day and start again the next.  
Not that the rest of the weather has varied much, darkness falls earlier, the rain comes and goes, and people pass smiling and happy - yeah right!

 
Nothing else happened.
Politics is still sick.
The loss of William G Stewart who's death was announced today is a sad one.  Producer of many programmes and presenter of 'Fifteen to One,' an excellent quiz show now ruined by the presence of a failed 'celeb' as presenter.  He was excellent in this show and this became one of my favourites when he presented it.  It ran for a long time but now hides away in one of the obscure channels.  No wonder!
Nothing else happened again...


8 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I remember that happening to a double decker bus on a route usually served by single deckers...the top had peeled back like a sardine can...

Lee said...

Spring has definitely arrived here, bringing with it some temperatures more applicable to summer...and we've just had our first storm of the season. A lot of noise and a light show, but unfortunately, not much rain.

Adullamite said...

Fly, This happened the other day to a bus at the Western General, he thought he could get under the overbridge - he didn't!

Lee, Do you want one of our storms...?

Unknown said...

That is a great shot of the topped trailer. I used to be quick to laugh at the idiots not paying attention to clearance warning signs, but it finally happened to me just before I had to get off of the road. I was heading to pick up a load on the south side of Chicago with bad directions to the place. I turned onto the first major street after passing the place I was supposed to be at so that I could circle back around. I was quickly confronted with a railroad overpass marked as 13 feet-tall. My trailer was 13' 6", but northern states often mark their clearances lower than they really are to allow for snow-pack on the road/street during the winter. I eased up to the edge of the overpass and then inched forward while standing on the top step outside of the cab to see if I was going to hit the bottom of the overpass. I had around a foot of clearance, and successfully turned my rig around down the street a little bit. I was going around 25 MPH when I heard an load, tearing sound as I passed under the other side of the overpass. It was then that I noticed one side of the street being at least a foot and a half higher than the other due to new blacktop. Sigh.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, You surprise me....

Unknown said...

Yes, my dear Adullamite, it is surprising to think that I could make a mistake, but be assured that it does not happen very often. I hope this restores your peace of mind.

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh definitely one of the best pictures you've posted this month! made me laugh out loud.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, I'm now at peace...

Jenny, Good!