Saturday 25 April 2015

Not to be Forgotten Colonials



Much of this morning was taken up with watching the ceremony at the Cenotaph for the ANZAC Day commemorations.  The next few years will see many centenaries from the war and this was probably one of the most significant.  The combined forces of the Australian and New Zealand armies not only partook in an unglamorous conflict but by doing so they forged two new nations.
Until this operation there was a tendency to see themselves as an extension of the 'mother country' something that has occurred time and again down through the centuries.  The British Isles sent many to these to land masses, sometimes unwillingly, and it was the war of 1914 that brought the realisation that these two nations were just that, nations, not an extension of anyone else.
The Anzacs had a tough and difficult time at Gallipoli and later played a part in operation in the Sinai desert.  In 1916 they were transferred to the harder still fighting in France serving at Poziers on the Somme.  
The contribution to the war effort by the Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, Indian and many other nations cannot be overlooked.  Too often however that is what happens.  Today the ceremony brought them to the fore and also added contributions from their former enemies the Turks!  They too cannot be ignored.  
Fighting soldiers are usually the first to be pacifists when war threatens but the first into battle when peace breaks down.  Those who know war are the first to avoid it!  These men are also the first to welcome gatherings like this where former enemies meet to commemorate and live new lives.

   
.

10 comments:

carol in cairns said...

Thank you Adullaman ~ still better to be called Colonials than Convicts.

Lee said...

Anzac Day is such a solemn day.

I spend most of the day in tears; and yesterday was no exception.

I didn't physically attend a Dawn Service this year, but I was up and showered by 4 am; and then I watched every service that was telecast from 4.30 am forth...culminating in the service at Villers-Bretonneux in the afternoon (our time).

Anzac Day is a very emotion-filled day; and one we must always revere.

Through the years I’ve watched the war movies. I’ve watched the documentaries. I’ve read the stories. I don’t have children; I've never experienced the joy; the rewards. I don’t have sons or daughters, but I do feel deeply when I see those young men and women on the battlefields; the young people who left our shores to fight battles to ensure our freedom and rights remain secure…all are my sons and daughters, in some way. I miss those who didn’t return as if they were my own children; I thank those who gave and give their service…as if they were my own.

Thank you for your post, Adullamite.

Unknown said...

Yes, I thought "Colonials" might ruffle a few feathers. Other than that, well done.

Adullamite said...

Carol, I chose that as Colonials was the normal term at the time.

Lee, Villers-Bretonneux, few people here know about that one, it was not shown on any channel I watched.

Jerry, Colonials' was the common term of the day.

carol in cairns said...

No feathers ruffled here :)

Unknown said...

Well, mine would certainly be ruffled if I had any left. Sigh.

Adullamite said...

Carol, You see how sweet you are, unlike Jerry!

Jerry, You see how unsweet you are, unlike sweet Carol!

Kay G. said...

We have had some documentaries about this on TV here but for the most part it has been ignored on American TV. Suppose they can't show any short skirted, slutty women connected with it.

Adullamite said...

Kay, The Anzacs may have liked that at the time! :)

Lee said...

It's part of the Western Front, Adullamite. Surely the Western Front was mentioned. It was a major battlefield and one not to be overlooked or forgotten.