Tuesday 11 March 2014

Building Site



Now you may think this a boring and unusual picture, me, myself and I were shocked by what I saw!  I wandered down this way yesterday happily enjoying the blinding sunshine when I looked to my left and gasped.  Just the other day I came down here and to the left stood a twenty foot high heap of earth dumped by builders working over the other side.  I queried whether they intended building a mountain rather than houses and received a not very encouraging response. Now there exists this complex of flats growing from nothing!  Growing indeed next to the stream they refer to here as a river.  Note they are building next to the stream!  This wee river in times past would burst its banks, and the museum has pictures to prove it, however some attempt at control has been made in the last hundred years, nevertheless recent events such as the flooding of Somerset ought to waken people up to the idea that some thought needs to be put into where houses are built.  I was more annoyed that so many perfectly good trees were removed to allow the building. Round this area dozens of trees have been chopped yet as far as I can see no replacements have been planted. Strange to prefer trees to needed homes but some care re trees is required, we need them also.
For a while, until the economic meltdown, every small open space would disappear and half a dozen houses would appear the next day.  This has slackened somewhat but several areas have continued to build, this spot is one of them.  Houses planned in the past have risen and annoyed the postmen who find another hundred drops added to their loads.  The way mail works here the streets get added on and the postman just has to do it, unless he goes mad and screams the place down.  The last 'walk' I was doing had about eighty houses added not long after I left.  The postie's opinion is not worth repeating here. Now we are informed by the government that recovery is under way (?) we can expect a resurgence in such activities.  Especially by friends of the government, an election is in the offing ....... 

.

6 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I fear that builders and councils are unlikely to do anything about building in flood prone areas until they're forced. THey seem to need rules to live by and if there aren't any rules they think they can do what they like, I suppose.

Lee said...

Ahhhh...the lack of foresight is a wondrously mysterious thing! It runs rampant here at times, too!

Someone should put a leash on it!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Money rules, that is why!

Lee, Less foresight than money.

Carol said...

Adullaman ~ I sometimes think as a race of people we never learn ~ but that would be unfair to lump everyone in together. Water will always find its natural course. I can imagine how shocked you were.

the fly in the web said...

And what booby hutches they are!
I remember being in Dockland with a French friend who asked why you would pay good money to live in something he wouldn't consider fit for his rabbits...

Adullamite said...

Carol, Water always wins. But we can lump builders together!

Fly, Small house means more houses. It's the noise from next door that would worry me, how thin the walls.