Wednesday 5 February 2014

Need Sleep




I need sleep!  All this work and no play, the having to stay up late to watch football is grinding me down.  While aiding the museum and watching football I am being worn down.  On Monday I had to stay awake watching Manchester City being shown up by Chelsea, last night I was forced to watch Sheffield United make fools out of Fulham and being a cup tie replay meant there were thirty extra minutes being played. Tonight once again I was, under duress, made to watch Preston North End play Nottingham Forest.  This plays havoc with my sleep patterns you know, especially as once the game is over I have other things to do, a blog to write maybe or emails to send, sometimes I must read other blogs and they insist I respond, even though my mind is clearly elsewhere (if found please return to sender), or there is a game of 'TetriX' or 'Bouncing Balls' that must be played.  
To make matters worse today I was set to endure a long siesta after lunch however the lass from the museum rang and by the simple ruse of crying her eyes out forced me to go in and cover one of the new girls, others having gone off because of family illness.  Being prey to crying women I put aside my ex-army blankets decent lunch 'to do' list and found myself at the museum all afternoon. Would ya believe others are of on a razzle on Friday and I must go in and cover them also!  Jings it's like having a job!  Apart from a sarky woman when I made a mess of the credit card machine and the school party wearing us out it was quite straight forward, but did require a lot of running around. especially after we had finished with the kids when we sat and drank tea and stared at the rain lashing the window, we were unable to do anything else! Lovely bright kids, well controlled and keen, but so many at a pace to much for old folks those of us no longer working full time.  After this we busied ourselves on easy tasks!  A good day in fact, but tiring. 
Of course this means almost nothing has been done here.  The hundreds of jobs awaiting doing are still awaiting.  My desperation to do them is somewhat awaiting also.  My books are lying, each with a bookmark sticking out plaintively screaming at me to open it!  The dust is also lying everywhere screaming at me but I turn a deaf ear to that!  Now I have written this I am finding myself wider awake than when I was watching Notts Forest moving through the rain into the next round of the English Cup, is that not typical? 
Well maybe I can force myself to sleep.....zzzzzz  


.

8 comments:

the fly in the web said...

The lamb is taking over....it is now terrifying all the dogs by wanting to play with them...it runs at them head down which is not in their play vocabulary and they cower on the sofa....
It requires milk to be heated at short but irregular intervals, mucking out, house training...

I think I'll take a rest cure at your museum.....

Lee said...

*sob*! *sob* Booohooooooohoooo! *sob* *sniff* *sniff*

Carol said...

I am so tired A-man. It is really exhausting being back at work this year. I am blaming old age myself. But still have another 17 years before I can retire ~ unless they change the pension age again in the meantime and then I could be working longer. I wonder what a worn out teacher is capable of doing until 67??

Adullamite said...

Fly, You poor lass. Just wait till the lamb is full grown! Poor dogs must be worried.

Lee, Your compassion is received in the manner in which it is given :)

Carol, You poor lass. You will soon get into a rhythm and all will be well. You only need four hours sleep a night.....?

Carol said...

Poor Fly alright. Lamb ~ sofa ~ bottle feeding ~ mucking out. Someone give this lady a holiday.

Jenny Woolf said...

I think it was Quentin crisp who said that after the first 2 years the dust doesn't get any worse. Wise man.

Adullamite said...

Carol, Doesn't she deserve one!

Jenny, Only two years....? :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, like anyone can tell a difference between when you are awake and asleep. Alas, I must admit that was a really good one.