Tuesday 7 January 2014

Tawse



There was an interesting discussion with a couple of chaps who visited the museum today.  Like many visitors the visit took a couple of hours to wander about, getting involved in some of the displays.  One, became interested in the Victorian death rituals, the black crape made by Courtauld's being a massive seller in those days, and the other being a recently retired teacher found the Victorian classroom interesting and talk got round to the use of 'the cane.'  In England the cane was much used to install discipline into recalcitrant brats, and in public schools possibly to train them for high office and oskuokuhyl&$fhs£njhjuvfdevgtlcdo (censored by the editor).  Anyway the ex-teacher informed us he had only once used such an implement and did not desire to do so again.  My first thought was that he was not in one of the rougher areas of this world!  He clearly was a decent man and most probably a good teacher and I recalled the best teachers we had were men who cared for the lads and used the belt very hard!  The 'Lochgelly Tawse,' so called because they were manufactured in the Fife resort of Lochgelly, (the term 'resort' is not to be taken at face value)  and was used instead of a cane by all Scots teachers.  As I said the better teachers used it and used it well and we liked them a lot in spite of this! We ended up as dumb as we began but some teachers stick in the memory for their efforts.  The belt ended its days after a woman in Cowdenbeath, just round the corner from Lochgelly, claimed some sort of human rights injunction after her adolescent son suffered six of the best for his misdemeanours.  The court ruled in her favour and indiscipline has ruled the nation ever since! While many can learn with discipline based on other means there is a hard core who will never change, the vast number of pupils banned from classes proves this.  The use of the belt enabled control and allowed teaching to continue, even the brat blowing on his hands could still learn, no need for separate tuition!  On the rare occasion the teachers unjustly offered me the opportunity to receive this tawse my loving parents, if they knew about this, would ask "What had I done?" Once informed the attitude was "That served you right!"  If only they had met that woman from Cowdenbeath and her delinquent, advice on child rearing was available for free!  I wonder how the mannie who made these straps survived the loss of earnings, did she ever think of that I wonder? 

.

9 comments:

Carol said...

Hi A-man ~ that 'Lochgelly Tawse,'??? It sure looks very mean, I must say.
I remember the cane from my schooling days. I never got it myself, but witnessed others having it measured out.
As a teacher, I have to say that I cannot even imagine myself dishing out that kind of punishment. If they brought corporal punishment back, I would have to find another career I think. I didn't even use the strap, dog leash, electric cord, or fly swat on my son ~ maybe because they were favourites of my mothers. Thank God times have changed I say.

the fly in the web said...

My husband spent a short time at a school run by the Christian Brothers; he was not the most attentive of pupils normally but their stated aim of not ruining their 100% success rate at GCE achieved by use of the tawse when required soon succeeded in attracting his attention.
He remembers the Brothers well - as dedicated teachers with their pupils' interests at heart.

I don't remember any use of the cane when I was in junior school in mixed classes - but I do remember a chap with unerring aim with a blackboard rubber - a wonderful teacher to whom - among others - I owe a great deal.

From what I see of disruptive pupils in some schools - and the tolerance extended to them - I wonder if I would have managed to learn anything in such an environment.

alan1704 said...

Ouch, I can still feel getting the cane when i was innocent. That hurt!!

Lee said...

Ouch! That hurt!

Any self-respecting dominatrix would love one of those hanging on her wall!

Adullamite said...

Carol, So you are the one responsible for all these hooligans walking the streets!

Fly, The best teachers were the strictest, the worst let you off. Blackboard dusters often flew near me....

Alan, 'Innocent.....?'

Lee, How many have you got on the wall?

Lee said...

I've lost count when I reached 20, Adullamite....

Unknown said...

My mom and dad would have my younger brother and me go out and cut our own switch when a whipping was due. When we starting bringing back tiny twigs, the whippings stopped.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, My folks were economical, they just used hands!

Lee said...

I don't remember ever being smacked; never whipped. I remember the threats if I didn't pull my head in and behave myself...the threats were enough for me!