Tuesday 14 January 2014

Now There's a Strange Thing....




My bleary eyes were not deceiving me as I struggled to keep them open this morning, the bar on Google Chrome was mixed up.  I checked on the Firefox browser and all was well there, but Chrome was very strange.
It appears that for reasons of its own links long dumped were resurrected and added to what was there now.  Several folders are on the Bookmarks Bar and one or two of these were also stuffed with long forgotten links!  Aye Aye though I, is this a virus, Malware or just Chrome doing its own thing?  I know not but have deleted the excess, except Jazz Radio as I deleted that because it was blocked by something unknown but now works!  These old inks go back at least a year, so where did they come from?  Tsk!  As I was rushing out to the museum I had no time or patience to work this out, now I am too knackered! Hopefully it has now fixed itself.  Running the usual checks produced nothing. I am putting most of my links onto Firefox, Chrome is faster but very 'thin.'
Have you noticed the strange additions to Google?  Links rush out from either side, unwelcomed by me, and irritate by offering me links I do not want or need!  Anyone know how to dump them?   I do wish they would not 'improve' things unless they are an improvement.     



.

8 comments:

Lee said...

Yes, I have Adullamite...just today all this craziness has been occurring. And it's driving me bloody insane...more insane than I usually am!!!

Adullamite said...

Lee. Now that is not possible.....

Unknown said...

Methinks both you and Lee have been drinking out of the same pot! For I have not noticed any changes.

Be assured that this is not meant to appease either one of you, but if there really is some strangeness going on with your Chrome bookmarks, it may serve as more proof of what is said about nothing ever really going away on the internet. For it sounds like some wires may have got crossed with back-up servers that held out-dated/deleted information/links. So, when it came time for a regular update, out-dated links were added to the current line-up.

Even though I use Chrome bookmarks because of how much more convenient they are in most cases, I prefer to also use the old Google bookmarks when it comes to really important links because they are held on a Google server and can be accessed from any device. In other words, Chrome bookmarks are held on your computer and cannot be accessed when you are using Firefox or Internet Explorer while the old Google bookmarks can be.

Furthermore, if your computer goes down for the count, you have lost all of your links while the old Google bookmarks remain intact. This was brought to my undivided attention when lightning ran in on and fried the computer we had before this one and I lost all of the links to the sites I had on the list for a future Sites To See, which forced me to have to start all over or drop the series.

Ironically, the old Google bookmarks cannot be accessed through Chrome without an extension being added to it. You can download that extension at: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shortcuts-for-google/baohinapilmkigilbbbcccncoljkdpnd Google toolbar

If you do not already have a Google toolbar for your Firefox yet, you can get one at: http://www.suchisoft.com/ext/gbookmarks.php

Lee said...

I, too, believed similar, Adullamite...but, no...it has been proved...I'm the proof!

Lee said...

The annoyance has now ceased, Adullamite. I went into my Control Panel to see if I could find an unfamiliar programme in there and I did...it was something called "Albrecho:" or something like that; a similar name. Anyway, I uninstalled it...and since then, touch wood, or my head, all is back to normal again...including my head!

Lee said...

Furthermore...I don't use Chrome.

Gold only for me! And diamonds, of course...they being a girl's best friend! No, hang on...my two furry, four-legged rascals are my best friends!

Jenny Woolf said...

Love the photo of the electric cat! I have given up trying to understand my computer's private life.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, You are most likely right about back servers.
I will look into the links, cheers!

Lee, So glad that has been removed, it is a killer when things go wrong on the pc.

Jenny, Everyday is a new problem at the moment.