Friday 6 December 2013

Books



If there is one thing I could waste cash on it would be books.  Having bought a Gift Card from W.H.Smith the other day I was suddenly grabbed by a desire to get my £5's worth from my £5 off a purchase over £20 voucher.  The nonsense in spending money to save money when you don't require what you are buying does not escape me.  However I went forth regardless!  This enabled me to avoid the dusting, hoovering and other women's work that lay before me. Anyway I could not find the scraper to remove the dust from the mantlepiece.
After a great deal of pondering amongst the limited stock on view I made my decision, obtained three books, paid the surly, half dead employee (a grand example of why people under 21 should not be employed), and made my way home with a smile on my face.  
Much later, after lunch I made off to the shops, just to get out of the housework again, and found myself perusing the charity shops bookshelves.  Like W.H.Smiths trash dominates these shelves.  In this area tons of women's book line the shelves, with the '50 Shades of Gray' continuing to take an ever larger share there.  So large a share that the Dan Brown books are being shoved aside and sometimes even bought!  The nearby charity shop happened to provide me with another couple of tomes of interesting detail I hope, and I happily took them to the aged crone at the counter.  Bones creaking she struggled to her feet, considered slowly and demanded a pound.  Proffering a coin I smiled, a smile I offered just to annoy her as she appeared incapable of this action, and wandered home through the throng of grumpy Christmas shoppers gloating that my Christmas gift and card shop was over.
When I got home I realised I needed another card for someone I forgot! Bah!
Later I piled up the books I am reading, the ones I have to read, and pondered whether I need to review the way I am working through all these volumes.  I confess some are not easy reads, occasionally a book will begin to weary, and sometimes something arises that makes me head off in another direction.  By such methods I have a dozen books half read all over the place.  Now and then a book grips me so hard that I can do nothing but read through the thing, no matter what, but usually I plod along happily, pretending I understand all the big words and bigger ideas on offer.  On occasion I actually comprehend what they are saying, but this is rare.  
You will note none of these are story books, I do not harbour them.  Actually I lie, one I obtained in the charity shop was a Victorian detective novel set in Edinburgh, long before Ian Rankin arose with his rather dark books.  I think he needs some attention myself.  Story books are of low interest to me, I prefer the real world but now and then I will attempt a book that calls itself literature!  
Now I am writing this I am unable to read any of the books on the dusty shelf. There are just not enough hours in the day!

.

8 comments:

Lee said...

I love books. My little abode is over-run with books. I will never succumb, however, to e-readers of any kind...because I love books!

I gave my young grand-niece and her brother 12 books for Christmas amongst their other gifts. I always give them books. When they were born I included a pile of books amongst the gifts I gave them upon their grand entrances into the world. Start 'em young, I believe!

Has anyone else's blog changed its format? Mine has for whatever stupid reason. Now when I click on someone's blog...yours for example, Adullamite...a different "page" comes up and I then have to click on the new post's title and it brings me to the action post in the original format it always has been...but it displays only that one post.

I'm not sure if my explanation is clear enough...but the new format is really annoying. Again an example of why fix something if it's not broken!

Just having a whinge...not about you, Adullamite...about Blogger.

Lee said...

Ignore my whinge in my previous whinge. I've just rectified the problem. Why or how the problem arose I have no idea...but I've fixed it!!!

Mo said...

Ah a past time we share. I have a stack of books beside the bed, another on the kitchen table, then there's the pile on the floor next to the sofa. Well the book cases are all full. And yes I can read several books all at the same time and not mix up the yarns.

Adullamite said...

Lee, Only one in my family ever reads. They just canny be bothered, useless lot.

Lee, Never heard of that one before, but Blogger does this.

Mo, That's a proper house! In every house I look to the books, it tells you a lot about the people.

Jenny Woolf said...

I used to read constantly. These days some of the time I used to spend reading, I now spend at the computer. Not sure that's a good thing in some ways since it gets one out of the habit of concentrating steadily. However, I do make time for reading and usually have a book or two on the go.

Kay G. said...

So little time, too many books!
I am a bookworm from WAY back but since non-fiction is what I love, I have been accused of reading like a MAN! The nerve!
That used to annoy me, but I am old now, and now I just mentally block people out. Why should books be considered for men or women? Books should be for everyone, especially good ones, like the ones that I read! ;-)

Unknown said...

Have you tried seeing what some online sites have to offer for free? Some like Project Gutenberg may have just what you are looking for.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Aye the PC takes away time from reading, especially when you read on the PC! If you see what I mean.

Kay, Dear Sir, Continue to read as you do, you know it makes sense!

Jerry, Indeed that is a favourite site. Some good things found on there, but no time to read them!!!!