Tuesday 29 October 2013

A 'Penny' for your thoughts.



After the storm the world has returned to normal sadly.  A thousand children, plus mums, arrived in the museum before I woke up this morning.  Money was exchanged however, Kids and mums were happy, especially the two who got in for nothing, and the place was put back to normal quickly enough.  One mum phoned to book the kid in for an event and asked about 'Penny Farthings.'  We have one and tomorrow she and her kid can see one for herself.  What a great idea these were.  


The 'bone shaker,' that went before (pictured above, made by Lake & Elliot) enabled the eager rider to achieve a decent speed however the large 'Penny' wheel of the later bike gave their rider the speed advantage with no more effort.  Bright young things took to these willingly, even though the first 'Penny Farthings' bikes had a very simple brake which if handled badly left the rider far ahead of his bike!  These interesting creations were not found on tarmac roads such as we have today, the majority of the roads would be poor quality I suspect, and not very comfortable in winter. The 'Bone shaker' was well named! Of course the safety bicycle came along both these were left far behind.  The safety bike had wheels the same size, gears, and brakes.  No wonder it was safe, although it may well cost much more than a man's weekly wage.  Now I am in the mood to jump on my bike and race off down the road, oh dear, it's dark, I had better forget that idea for now.    


Note the broken brake (string) cable!


.

4 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I read a book once written by these guys in about 1910 who went round the world on boneshaker bikes. OK on the flat but I'm imagining them in the mountains somewhere rural. The worst place sounded like Russia partly because it was so big and empty!

the fly in the web said...

I loved these bikes.

A friend of my father had a penny farthing which he kept in reasonable nick and as a child I remember my father riding it...with distastrous consequences to his trousers when trying to turn on a cobbled road....

I knew enough not to laugh...not until he did.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Yes I found a note re that today. Something like 10000 miles!

Fly, 'Enthusiasts,' still buy modern versions of such bikes (£1200) and fall head first over the handlebars also!

Lee said...

As Jenny said...those guys went around the world on their bikes...but that was when the world was flat...and they were only doing what they were told to do.

They were told to "get on your bike"; so they did!