Monday 15 July 2013

Meet Fred



This is Fred.  For the past few days the wonderful, enjoyable, sizzling heat, which will no doubt cause all sorts of pains later, has led me to keep all the windows open to some extent.  How lovely that is you rich folks in warm climes will never comprehend.  However with such benefits as heat the open window sees many bluebottles pass through in the mistaken belief that herein lies a MacDonald's, Indian takeaway or council rubbish tip.  They may be near the mark with the last one mind.  These beasties usually seek the quickest way out when approached, fly's however, called walks if you tear their legs off I suppose, hover around the lamp dangling in the middle of the room for ever and ever I find.  Quite why they follow such irregular patters in flight I know not but I certainly do know they avoid rolled up newspapers very expertly indeed.  
Fred however comes into a different category.  For one I have no idea what he, although intellectual he aint, and for two it may not be him, it may be lots of him, about that I am not sure.  Let me explain.  
The kitchen window opens from the bottom, day by day I have found Fred trapped inside the window, when open, without the wherewithal to sink down two inches and fly away.  Instead he rushes around getting frustrated by his inability to get through thin air which is so hard beneath him.  His mum never explained glass to him.  Daily I have been using my hand, or a small piece of paper, to guide him down about two inches to the freedom of the skies.  Sometimes I do this several times yet he never appears to learn.  Constantly he returns, constantly I help him out.  he will never meet a Mrs Beastie like this!   I canny understand why he does not avoid the window, indeed I am not sure where he comes from.  Maybe there is a nest of these just below my line of sight under the window?  Maybe he is not Fred but lots of Freds?  There is no doubt they are all daft if that is the case.
In the Democratic Congo folks are killing one another, Syria sees hundreds die daily, Egypt is in a ferment, Christians in Vietnam, North Korea, all the nations with 'Khan' in their name and in the middle east are being tortured or persecuted, hospitals fill with the sick waiting for aid, accidents occur or roads daily, economic plight keeps millions awake, yet I worry about Fred?  
Sometimes I wonder about me, I really do....... 

.

9 comments:

Lee said...

I live in the "warm climes"; but I sure as hell ain't rich! I wish I was, though!

Fred looks like he could be a St. Mark's Fly, Adullamite. Perhaps he's confused because you keep calling him Fred instead of Mark!

Keep worrying about Fred...at least with him there is something you can do to help him - with all the others you mention there is nothing you can do.

If Fred is a St. Mark's Fly his lifespan is only one week, anyway. So, it could be that you're helping a lot of Freds!!

Keep up the good work!

the fly in the web said...

You can do something to help Fred.

Unknown said...

Hello, my name is Fred, and I am a navigationally-challenged pest, sent here to keep batty blokes from going bonkers. Since my last meeting, I have not met with much success...

Adullamite said...

Lee, I wonder if that is what he is and has not yet developed properly? However he has not shown up this morning yet, maybe he sleeps late?


Fly, You mean I'm useless elsewhere...? You are right!

Jerry, Fred, is that you Fred....?

Lee said...

Perhaps he's flown over to visit Jerry!

Jenny Woolf said...

Hmmm. Fred looks like one of those insects that bit me while I was away and made me ill. Maybe you should be glad he can't get out .....

Adullamite said...

Lee, He must have, he still has not returned!

Jenny, Now you tell me!!!!! Where's that rolled up newspaper?

red dirt girl said...

Ahhh .... you're kind to insects! Who would've thought ??
;P
xxx

Adullamite said...

RDG, I am just nice to all, usually......