Wednesday 26 June 2013

Ichabod and I



Ichabod, the bike that is, and I struggled up the old railway early this morning before my mind was wide enough awake to realise what I was doing.  My knees are now well able to explain the short trip, and loudly at that!  A chap I know belongs to one of those cycling groups, you know the type, helmets, shorts, bright tight jerseys and riding bikes costing several hundred pounds, well he was commenting on their 'run' of just over a hundred miles.  They had done a bit more the day before!  These imitation Tour de France types sometimes come past here, and if on telly I will watch it myself.  Men like the idea of being tough or strong enough to ride up hills and speed along straight rods, always comparing the time between your past time and some other superstars.  Incidentally I watched a programme featuring Clare Balding, a lass referred to by one man as 'Dyke on a Bike,' cycling around the hill of Devon in one of those excellent short travel programmes.  Indeed I like this type of thing and Balding does present herself well here.  However she mentions the small point that she was on a 'short run,' of just 30 miles!  I considered this during my ride up the slope and calculated that by turning back I would get home after completing 3 miles.  My knees agreed that was far enough today!


Farmer Jones will be happy that in spite of the rain his crop is succeeding this year.  I am claiming this is wheat but I expect you experts will tell me it is something completely different, like mango or the like.  His wide field looks in quite good nick in spite of the refusal of the council to allow him to sell some fields to a builder who wants to create 500 homes there.  Luckily even our Councillors are too busy planting said 500 houses on a different farm to care for him.  I am glad as this would spoil the old railway for many of us.


It seems like years since I have been up here and the rain has developed the vegetation somewhat!   This stuff lined the path all the way up, in spite of being curtailed by the Rangers who have stopped it encroaching the entire path.  There is something refreshing about breathing in such an atmosphere (unless you have Hay Fever or Asthma I suppose), listening to the birds singing, beasties rummaging through the undergrowth and cheerily allowing occasional cyclists to rush past as they must get to work before eight.  How I love not having to do that these days.  I miss the good bits, the people, the routine but not the hassle, office politics, grumpy folks, and of course the public!  

  
How much better this looks when greenery is everywhere, also when the way home is downhill!


Occasional remnants of the old railway.  A sign to indicate the rise and fall of the track ahead.  Just ride a bike pal and you soon find how far the track rises and falls!  

.

8 comments:

the fly in the web said...

And just when did Ichabod's glory days depart, might I ask...he looks in pretty good shape to me.

soubriquet said...

The managing director, at our place of work, has taken to cycling in, during the better weather, along the canal towpath, about ten or eleven miles. Yesterday, he was groaning about the uphill bits on the way back....
Now, one of the key points about canals is the very lack of uphills or downs.

Only when you encounter a lock is there a change from flat to gradient, and as he has a £2000 mega lightweight titanium spacewarp zillion geared, disc braked thing, I was forced to take the mickey a bit.
I do the ten miles to work a bit less sweatily, I listen to Radio 4, and burn dirty fuel oil as I go.

Whe I was a student, I worked hard in the summer, saved and scrimped, and bought a shiny green five speed, drop handlebar touring bike from my local bike emporium, which was one of those intimidating places where everybody who worked there raced.
I loved that bike, it was rock-steady at speed, well-balanced, tough too. Some b'stard stole it. Gnaah. I've had other bikes since. None as good, despite more gears and shiny bits.

Lee said...

Boy! I've not ridden a bike in years and years. I can even pinpoint the year, date and month...it was around 17th August 1974...a day or two after my mother passed away. I borrowed a bike from her neighbour just so I could go for a ride to clear my mind and my emotions.

I love the lushness shown in those photos, Adullmite. Everything is looking so green and healthy.

Adullamite said...

Fly, That is a benefit of fiddling with the picture! Icha is 17ish and is not well maintained. Bits fall off every so often, including the rider!

Soub, I'm with the boss here! The tow path does sound a real good place, this railway does have real slopes!

Lee, Yes the lushness is good Lee.

Unknown said...

I suppose it is good to be into recycling. Well, at least that is what I've heard said.

I hope you-all don't have any really windy days between now and harvest time. For with heads that heavy, the wheat stems may break in two before the grain ripens.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, My dear boy these are British wheat heads. No mere wind will break them!

Jenny Woolf said...

Looks absolutely brilliant. YOu are lucky to live somewhere so pretty. I love old railways too - full of atmosphere. I like it even better to find a disused station but have never been lucky enough to find a disused train.

Adullamite said...

Aye this is only the first two miles, when fit I will go further. After all those years in London and 17 out here I still just stand and watch the countryside, it's great.