Monday 3 June 2013

Bike or Horse?



So the sun has shown up again today.  The weather was hot when I hobbled across the park, bar the northerly wind of course.   Once out of that it was indeed hot.  Just the sort of day to pedal the bike about, travel up the old railway, early of course, or wheel around the back roads.  It may even be similar tomorrow.  Naturally I am not fit enough for this.  The bug still has me coughing, the calf is still to touchy to cycle with although I have attempted some exercise, my weight tells me I have to!  Warm weather is what we sick folks require at this moment.  How light the head becomes when the sun shines, it chases away those depressive feelings some suffer, cheers the heart, and sadly, encourages young men to play bad music loudly from their cars as they pass, windows wide open!  The show offs in their open topped BMWs, vintage Jaguars and such like will be out at the weekend, they will be making money today, probably from the likes of you and me.  The weekend will see them gather wherever they can show us their wallet I suspect.  Not that I'm jealous in any way, obviously.  Once I get the bike cleaned, oiled, tyres pumped, seat adjusted, and the energy levels up then I will get out there and watch the rain clouds gather....


Someone preferred this method of travel this afternoon, and the weather was there for her.  Just married at the register office and driven around to the hotel for the booze up reception and  fight family gathering afterwards.  It strikes me that being taken around the streets in the sun by Brougham would be a pleasant experience.  (That isn't a Brougham by the way) A slow meander through country lanes, rather similar to cycling but without all the effort, a warm sun and good company, that would make a nice day out.  As long as others do the work!



8 comments:

the fly in the web said...

When we went to Luxor we visited the Valley of the Kings by horse and trap...it was a long day, but we could take all the time we wanted at the tombs and other sites, the driver took us to visit his family and true to his word the horse did not work the next day...we were taken to visit him.
No effort, warm sun and good company, as you say.

Lee said...

The sun is shining brightly here today, too...I've not gone on a horse and carriage ride, though; I did a couple of loads of washing, instead. Not quite the same!

alan1704 said...

I'm back on the bike again, off to work, peddling against the wind. the wife gets the car!

Adullamite said...

Fly, That sounds wonderful!

Lee, How romantic! Look for a horse today.

Alan, Typical woman! The law of cycling is the wind is always against you.

Mo said...

Yes the much needed sun. I admit I was out there soaking it up with all the other lilly white bodies. I've clearly been here too long now I'm starting to get that translucent skin only the English have.

Adullamite said...

Mo, Sounds like you need the sun badly!

Unknown said...

Well, both will buck you off.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, You've seen me on the bike...?