Sunday 30 June 2013

And the Band Played....




One of the features of the Public Gardens is an occasional Summer outing for the brass band.  These enthusiasts play a selection of gentle well known tunes while all around people relax in the sun listening, kids kick dad around while others eat ice cream that appears from who knows where.  I sat amongst this, mostly ageing, crowd happily burning in the sunshine.  It was so warm, and I foolishly sat for fort minutes, that when the sun moved behind the treetops I was quite content to dwell in the shade.  Goodness gracious, that's twice this year the sun has been hot, has someone paid the bill?  A very gentile way off life this Sunday treat.  I read my book, small kids raced their bikes back and forth, people dozed and the music swung along.  A large crowd disposed itself in a huge arc around the green, many bringing their own seats, picnics and reading materials, well used to attending these events.   The band appear to be amateur but well used to their instruments and needed little encouragement from the conductor.  This I think was just as well as when I passed to take the picture he was merely moving the baton up, then down, across, then back, all to keep the beat rather than anything else.  I doubt this lot required any more guidance they appeared proficient and happy in their work.  Of course there is one empty seat at the back, has the triangle player gone home perhaps?



One of my favourite, but usually busy, parts of the old railway is this bit.  Something about the size of the trees, the leaves and the general greenery always makes me stop and look.  You may also hear the sounds of birds chirping just loud enough to be heard above the noise from the ever busy by-pass.  I took several short clips at 6.30 this morning, only two others about and that because the dog forced them out, the weather warm, the sun rising fast.  Sadly the cheap video does not catch the brightness of the sun properly, I am still attempting to work the buttons on it so this is a bit duller than reality.  

.

7 comments:

Kay G. said...

I like your sunshine through the leaves of the trees.

Your photo of the brass band makes me want to see England again, I only have seen and heard them there.

the fly in the web said...

My mother's mother used to like going to her local park where uniformed men played in the bandstand...
Your post brought it all back to me...thank you very much.

Adullamite said...

Kay, Lots of brass bands here, and in Eastbourne!

Fly, There is a newly renovated bandstand here, but the band never use it! Glad you like the memories.

Unknown said...

Was that a red-tufted snuffleupagus I hearing just off camera?

Lee said...

I love a good band. I particularly love a Scots' pipe band. I love the bagpipes!

Adullamite said...

Jerry, Just an old guy.

Lee, I'll send you a band.

Lee said...

Well, thank you, Adullamite. Just make sure it's not a rubber band; I have quite a few here. ;)