Monday 4 March 2013

Old Hooses



It is regrettable that these two houses stand on the corner of a main road, and one just up from the traffic lights at that.  This means constant traffic, some heavy, for most of the day.  This is not how it was when they were constructed sometime in the 1600's.  These fine houses must contain some stories considering how many folk have passed through those doors during that time.  Some amongst them have altered the windows in the late 1700s or early 1800's, I suspect previous windows were considerably smaller.  The majority would no doubt have been employed in some kind of agricultural work, the towns importance as a market town still gives us a market twice a week, although cattle and pigs no longer walk up the High Street.  Many however were involved in trade, manufacturing or the like.  Shops did good business, pubs abounded, lawyers ensured they got paid and a variety of churches were in operation.  I would have thought that at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries the owner would have been some sort of merchant, and keen to show of his wealth.  Certainly the windows were installed then and some think the front was renovated also. The gable dormers were added to the roof in the 19th century to enhance the building in keeping with the 'Flanders' like influence found elsewhere in the town.  I wonder what his prices were like?   Certainly behind the house on the left of the picture stands a long weatherboard outbuilding used at one time for trade.  Now it appears to have been turned into some sort of lodging.


The Sky TV aerials appear to be of a later vintage than the rest of the building, possibly 20th century according to the stour on them!  The aerials also indicate just how many flats these once proud homes now contain.

  
A very Georgian like door, possibly dating from the origin of the house or maybe added during the alterations.  The glass looks what you might expect from a Victorian door.  I have been wrong before of course, as someone is always willing to remind me.


I do like a nice letterbox but this one has been blocked by a nameplate!  A minute letterbox has been inserted above this, Tsk!  Not quite sure of the name, although there were a couple of Fitches elsewhere in the town in the 19th century.   

.

5 comments:

A. said...

The satellite dishes can be quite a rash in some areas. I gather the buildings aren't in a protected area or anything or they wouldn't be allowed. Bit of a shame. They are beautiful buildings and very different from any round here.

Are you sure that's a letter box that has been blocked off? It would have been enormous.

Unknown said...

They certainly do not look as old as they are. What happened with you? (Yeah, I know that I have never seen a picture of you, and I am thinking that there is a very good reason for that.)

Lee said...

I agree...what a pity these wonderful old "hooses" are now in the position they are, with traffic racing by all the time.

When I was a little girl every time I saw a hornet I'd run to my mother or Nana and cry: "Mumma! Mumma! There's a hoonet in cooner!" They used to laugh and say it was my Scottish heritage subconsciously coming out.

Seeing your title of this post reminded me of days long gone!

Adullamite said...

A, Some areas are protected but I suspect the traffic volumes make preservation costly. They are listed Grade II but as the dishes are at the side not the front they may get away with it.

Jerry, I am 25.

Lee, You can take a Scot out of Scotland but....

Strawberry Girl said...

Lovely! :)