Tuesday 1 January 2013

Waterloo Station



Waterloo Station boasts very this impressive entrance which doubles as a memorial to the railwaymen who served during the Great War.  A fantastic offering for the many men who fell, their names are listed just inside the entrance.  The armies in France required professional railway operators specifically for the British forces.  These ensured the goods and men reached the intended area on mainline and light railways throughout the British lines.  Hard work, under fire often, just as dangerous as well as those who served in the army directly.  The picture is difficult to obtain because of the road traffic behind.  Most using this station will enter and leave by the underground entrances rather than this door, I wonder how many who do come this way stop to look?  

In spite of carrying a ludicrously heavy bag I wandered through the maze of tunnels under the street to the embankment in an attempt to obtain a picture or two.  Naturally the drizzle came down, the place was crowded with damp tourists getting in the way, I was tired, afraid of missing the train connection and found the whole experience of being back in London quite unsettling.  For 21 years I lived here, I thought I knew the place and was disconcerted to discover how my unfit hulk could no longer run about like I used to here.  What would have taken ten minutes now appeared to take for ever!  The bag did not help of course.


This colossal brute was not here in my day.  Who dumped this here?  And why is there a long, damp, queue waiting in the drizzle to climb aboard and slowly go around in a circle aboard this creature?  A view from high up can be a marvellous experience but I wonder about being trapped in a space bubble while doing so myself.  It seems somewhat out of place against the huge imperialist buildings and associated history all around it.  


I made it to Waterloo on the two hour and five minute journey from Bournemouth.  Because of engineering work on the line between here and Poole the trains were often using the wrong platforms.  This meant I followed instructions on one platform and almost ended up aboard this train which landed in Manchester!  Good job that porter was there!  The difference in the people aboard the intercity trains and those on the underground remains notable.  While there are some similarities the step down from the train to the tube is like entering a dark world, a darkness not caused by being in a tunnel either.  I'm just glad I used the new Jubilee line and not the old Northern!  Could I live there now?  Even if I had the money I wonder if I could cope.

.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Methinks you could dislike living anywhere. So, what does it matter?

the fly in the web said...

I used that entrance regularly when young and my mother (wartime ATS)pointed out the plaques to me.

My hisband remembers the memorial in the Stock Exchange being broken up...very prophetic as to the values the place was to adopt.

A. said...

The pictures have turned out so well, especially the Eye. I know it doesn't fit in with the surroundings but I've always wanted to go in it.

I was once persuaded that it was no distance to walk from Waterloo along the Thames to some place I was staying near the Millennium Bridge. Not with a heavy bag, it isn't.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, Ah yes, now about this place......

Fly, Stock Ex broke the memorial? Shame. Of course there was a time all that was behind us and we were 'moving on.....'

A, I believe they have one in Edinburgh now, possibly temporary. Heavy bags are to be banned when I am king.

red dirt girl said...

Beautiful photos, Adullamite. I love train stations, big and small. I'd never be able to travel the 'eye' with my phobic fear of heights. I'm content to be told the view is fantastic.

Happy New Year, friend. May all your days contain a smile in them.

xxx

Kay G. said...

Oh, I know just what you mean about the London Eye. I LOVE the Houses of Parliament so much, I so hated when I saw it was being built so close to it. And yet...I must tell you that we were last there, I did get tickets for us to ride on the Eye, and it was quite beautiful to silently and slowly rise above London and see it as if were flying. The capsule is quite spacious really, and the thing I loved it about it, after the hustle and bustle of this busy city, it was so blessedly quiet. The views of the river and the buildings beyond, just beautiful.

Adullamite said...

RDG, What a sensible woman you are! The view must be good up there but some folks don't like heights. I hope you are always smiling too!

Kay, Anything quiet in London is to be put to use!

Lee said...

Jerry...that was overly-cynical and unfair of you, I do declare!

I can't stand crowds; and whenever possible, which I make possible more often than not these days...I stay away from them.

I enjoyed reading your post and viewing your photos, Adullamite...thanks for sharing. :)

Adullamite said...

Lee, Jerry cynical? Never! :) I must admit I prefer crowds to be far away.

Unknown said...

I hope you are happy now, my dear Adullamite. For this is another fine mess you have gotten me into, and just for your information, "gotten" is a most appropriate word for use in such situations!

Adullamite said...

Jerry, 'Gotten' is not a word found in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Unknown said...

So, what's your point, my dear, dear misunderstood and so under-appreciated, learned soul? By the way, if you did a better job of defending my honor, you just might find yourself better appreciated!

Adullamite said...

Jerry, The point is 'Gotten' is not a word!

Unknown said...

Yeah, according to the English!

Adullamite said...

That's 'BRITISH!' not english!