Monday 12 November 2012

Rip Off!




To avoid the almost non stop BBC coverage of the BBC internal problems with Jimmy Saville and the programmes that were not allowed to expose him but managed to expose another, and an innocent one at that, and the BBC's marvellous way of paying a Director General off with a massive Golden Handshake, I turned to other things.

Tonight I mused on rip off prices.  The camera above,  Zenit - E, a Soviet made camera, cheap and cheerful and ideal for an Irish wedding I was told. How? well when the fight starts everyone swings their cameras club like but nothing survives bar the Zenit!  Built like a brick it was heavy but it did give a feeling of security!   However the digital camera revolution has ended film cameras stone dead.  Old cameras are still available and indeed collectors items, a good quality Leica will cost good money.   The other week when in the big city (they call it) I passed a camera shop with a window stuffed with second hand (sorry, second user!) cameras.  I noted the prices and noted my shock to see a Zenit-E on sale for £65.  £65!!!!!  A few years ago they were going for £5-10.  How people rip us off when they think we will buy.  

When I think of this I am in a state of shock.  Time for a lie down, for a few hours I reckon.


7 comments:

Relax Max said...

The price of unusable Soviet film-era cameras is indeed unconscionable.

Mo said...

Maybe a good time to go through all those boxes stored in your shed and start selling on E-bay. You might be a millionaire yet.

Adullamite said...

Max, "Unconscionable?" You would be unconscious to pay £65 for a Zenit!

Mo, If only.......!

soubriquet said...

I knew that holding on to stuff was a good idea. My old Canon A1... Offers?

Unknown said...

Evidently, the camera is now considered either an antique or an older novelty item, with both of these categories commanding higher prices in the free market. Not that this will guarantee their sale at the higher price, of course, but with you being such a jolly ol' chap, I am quite sure that you will do your part to foster a spirit of free enterprise throughout the land! (Breaking out into a spirited drinking song would be appropriate at this time.)

Relax Max said...

Current asking price for an A1 is a bit over $100. A far cry from the £325 it fetched new 30 years ago. I would still make you an insulting offer if you threw in a lens or two and paid the shipping. But I know you don't really want to part with it.

Adullamite said...

Soub, Now see what you have done! Max is jealous!

Jerry, I am off to the charity shops to see if they have old cameras on offer!

Max, He would never part with it, but is bringing it to Texas just in case....