Monday 8 October 2012

Monday Muse



George Osborne the Chancellor of the Exchequer gave his speech today at the Conservative Party Conference and earned 'luke war applause,'  according to one Rosa Prince, the Telegraph 'Online Political Editor,' whatever that is!  "What did he say?" I hear you ask.  I neither know nor care.  In fact whatever was to follow here is now rapidly going the same way I did while listening to said Chancellor lying in his teeth discussing his policies on the 'Today' programme this morning.  I switched off then, I think I will do so now.  Suffice to say his friends will be OK, and the 'plebs' will carry the can, they always do.


This is a painting by one Mark Rothko, a famous, important, abstract painter whom you have never heard off until now.  This 'work of art' was 'vandalised' by a chap who added a postcript at the bottom.  What surprised me concerning this news was the price, this 'art work' is valued at £10 million!  "Jings! Crivvens! And Help ma Boab!"  I used to do abstract art at school but at no time did the art teacher put down the geography teacher from next door long enough to inform me that my 'work' was worth 'millions.'  He did place one on the lobby wall certainly but I am unsure whether he sent it to a gallery after I left or used it as dart board.  I can guess....  The art world, and indeed the fashion world, are one big con!  An understanding and appreciation of art is not required, just lots of money if you wish to be seen buying the 'right thing,' and a huge determination to be seen and find fame and fortune if you are an 'artist.  Talent is not required.


I attempted the Carrot Cake today and I am mightily surprised by the result.  It may never sell in the local national bakers but it will be good enough for me.  Quite why she calls these carrot cookies I fail to comprehend.  The Yanks were still playing baseball in 1940 while Britain 'stood alone' as the cheese eating surrender monkeys did what they do best.  I am quite pleased with myself now.  Tomorrow it's Bannocks!


.

9 comments:

soubriquet said...

Bannocks to you too!
Sniff, mutter, gripe.

Daft wazzock.

Adullamite said...

Soub, I did laff out loud at that!!!

A. said...

Is the painting a test of the emperor's new clothes variety? I can see nothing.

I have a Mrs Beeton cookery book that belonged to my grandmother but being pre-war it has no carrot cake recipes. My carrot cake recipe came from a friend in 1988. Will that do?

the fly in the web said...

Look at the Saatchi con...gathers a few con artists, builds up their image until the prices soar...sells most of his collection and the rest goes up in smoke while the insurance pays out.

Mo said...

Oh its such a fun week isn't it. Must be heaven for the cartoonists.

Adullamite said...

A, I would love your carrot cake!

Fly, Satchi was weird.

Mo, Heaven for them, not us.

soubriquet said...

Another Carrot-Cake recipe. I posted it a long time ago. It's secret.

http://gritinthegears.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/secret-carrot-cake-of-pasanen.html

The first item on the list is "soy cream". Bleeurgh! Real cream. Every time.

Bannocks!

Oh. And I can't remember if I ever told you this before, but a favourite cuss-word in our family, for the last 40 or so years, is "Pitlochry!"
Why? you may ask. Because, travelling north through Scotland, in about 1964, with three kids in the car, my dad missed a turn, and said "Damn!".
My mother remonstrated with him over his language, and then at the next turn, he said "Damn!" again...
She poked him with a finger, and he said "...and fishladder!", pointing out of the window at the sign "Pitlochry Dam and Fishladder".
Through the summer, we kids, who were not, on pain of spanking, allowed to cuss, would regularly say "Dam!".... "and fishladder!"

Over the years, it became sufficient to say "fishladder!", or just "Pitlochry!".

Jenny Woolf said...

Well done! Carrots are very nice in cakes although it also depends on what else is in them. I couldn't agree more about the Mark Rothko and so much of the other stuff you see. I honestly believe it's because various rich and important people have spent a fortune "investing" in these painters and they are using their wealth and importance to make sure that they continue to be revered as great artists. Otherwise the value of the investment will go down. Or, as you put it more briefly, it's a con. Yes indeed.

Adullamite said...

Soub, I never reached Pitlochry, but I may try the cake.

Jenny, Sensible lass.