Monday 9 July 2012

Danger Day




Maybe it's the ever present tiredness that never seems to leave me, maybe it's just being cack-handed, or there again it may just be my luck but today did not go well.  


It started late, I awoke at ten past five, closed my eyes as the 'shipping forecast' was read on the wireless and next thing I knew it was seven!  I stumbled into the kitchen fried tomatoes and the mushrooms that were growing on them and microwaved an omlette.  This took forever as I had forgotten to turn the cooker on.  Eventually my cold toast finished and crumbs filling every crack in this laptop, the phone rang.  For some strange reasom nine o'clock had arrived before I was ready and some spammer was already attempting to sell me something.  I ignored them and let the ansafone take care of it, no message was the reply.  I dialed 1471 to get their number and trace the call but they did not leave one, a spammer!  However I noticed some marks on the phone, the handset batteries were leaking like a tap!   Considerable time later the mess was cleaned up, on the phone, the desk,the laptop - me!  At least the desk is considerably cleaner, although things now fall through the hole.   


As I had to go into the walled city for no good reason I prepared carefully my duties so as to have as little time there as possible.  Naturally this was not to be.  Having managed to stay awake sufficiently to leave the train at my stop, rather than end in down by the coast where I would rather be, although being in Clacton on Sea would not be my first choice of coastal town to reside in (ankle chains and white stiletto's, and that's just the men!), I trooped off via the park and watched life slowly traipse by in the gloom.  At least the rain only threatened, then stopped and this summers gray cloud cheered us no end.  As I made for my destination a man walking the other way grumbled about the papers strewn all over and around a park bench, although I was not sure what I should do about it.  I noticed that he grumbled about those responsible but made no effort to collect the stuff and put it in the bin himself.  Hmmm.


Forced to huddle in a side room with a hundred other layabouts until the lovely Alison sorted things out I was then presented with a PC that suffered much!  The screen resolution was so small I could only see it by leaning right up against it, the window light reflected blocking what I could see, and it would not work!  My neighbour had his working, up to a point, but at least he could read his!  Once we managed to get started the printer would not print.  Both of us, and several others, sent much to the printer and nothing arrived.  The PC's were set to a differing machine.  Somewhere in that building hundreds of wasted sheets of paper are at this minute piling up on the floor.  What were we doing there?  Almost all of us claimed we do more at home.  All of us thought we were wasting time here, and that it cost this company cash it would be better advised spending on an upgrade of the computer system. However these 'Work' programmes are running into a problem. They make money when the 'client' gets a job he keeps for six months. There are three million unemployed and 400,000 vacancies. Most on this programme are the ones nobody wants. Like me some are unfit, some old, some unskilled and some ex-prisoners, not the first you would choose when employing someone from several hundred applications. The course is meant to help but there are just too few jobs, now this programme are getting worried. Conned by this government they are losing cash like water flooding folks houses and there is no improvement in sight. I wasted my time there, got out as quick as I could, and made it home without falling asleep onto the tracks.




I put the chips in the oven as I couldn't be fagged to do anything else and forgot the frying pan and oil therein was lying on the bottom of the oven. I type this with a thin haze all around, the windows open to clear the air, an unfortunate aroma clinging to everything, and suspect that as the night is young still more can go wrong.




I'm off to bed......




Oh good, the kids opposite have their music on, 'Rap' (with a capital 'C') or that dum dum dum stuff I wonder? That's the advantage the States has in such situations, guns! Bah!







.

7 comments:

Mike Smith said...

It's being so happy that keeps you going, auld fella...

Relax Max said...

Is fagged the same as arsed? Just when I think I'm learning, you throw in new words.

You know, a lot of these things wouldn't have time to happen to you if you didn't get up so early.

Jenny Woolf said...

Your description should be made into one of those cartoons where everything comes to life and chases you around. What were they called? Oh yes Max Fleischmann Betty Boop. I often watch "Snow White" on Youtube to really get myself into a mood.
But I am sorry really that things have been so shite today, and I get rather angry when I see how the Govt is desperate to cut jobs and so is everyone else, and then they waste money on these stupid schemes. I sppose at least they create jobs for the people who supervise these schemes. Maybe that is an idea....

red dirt girl said...

I'm off to bed, too!

Sweet dreams, Adullamite.

xxx

Adullamite said...

Mike, Indeed!

Max, Do keep up.

Jenny, Folks often consider me a cartoon character...

RDG, Sleep well sweet. xx

soubriquet said...

Death or Glory!

See, a bloke of my acquaint had a tattoo of a skull, just like that, with the motto 'or glory' beneath, on crossed bones. He went along to a JobCentre course, run by a third party training company, and the woman running the course told him he'd have to cover his tattoo or he'd never get a decent job. So, a while later, he went for an interview for a fork-lift driver job. And he got the job. Why? because the boss of the company saw the tattoo, and asked if he was a "death or glory" boy? " No, sir!", he replied, standing sharply to attention, "Just the glory part so far!"

That was a few years ago, now he runs the whole vast regional distribution/freight logistics depot.

And he got the job BECAUSE of the tattoo. The boss' grandfather had been a "Death or Glory" boy, 17th/21st Lancers.

Adullamite said...

Soub, I am having my tattoo done at this moment.