Friday 11 May 2012

Clouds



Today the sun returned to greet us and pretend it was the month of May.  In spite of the snow falling in the Grampians we found large areas of blue showing between the clouds.   Such a change after days of gray fluff hanging above us and happily drenching the unwary with sudden downpours.  Today I sat and watched the vast clouds in the distance.  As I have said before having spent so many years in concrete London where the sky is seen only by looking straight up I still find pleasure in watching the clouds in a blue sky.  Today their movement was hastened by a brisk wind.  Chasing my cap assured me how brisk this was!  So I sat and watched the cloud formations in the distance and marvelled at the sheer size of the things.  Climbing thousands of feet into the air and often stretching for miles, continent wide on occasion.


When I first came out here I realised why John Constable spent so much time painting clouds.  He  dwelt, in some comfort I should say, about thirty minutes drive for here, well thirty minutes if you drove like my driver did that time.  'Scuse me while I breathe deeply for a moment.  He (Constable) spent much time sketching and painting clouds.  Possibly he wondered what created them and blamed the industrial revolution for polluting the planet and creating global warming, possibly not.  Possibly he just painted and got on with his work.   



Why I wonder are they so flat at the bottom but not in the middle?  Could this be to let planes take off without hitting them, as some of us once loudly told one another while watching planes depart at Gatwick. "It's so the planes don't get scratched," we said, much to the irritation of anoraks listening in to pilots radio messages on their handsets.  Apart from the Daily Mail' who regularly post pictures of clouds that look like the UK, or a giraffe or Jesus, it is possible to become entranced by the shape of clouds.  Wind currents play about with them sometimes making intriguing patterns.  There again, maybe I have just spent far too much time indoors this week....?

 .

5 comments:

Relax Max said...

I've looked at clouds from both sides now. From up and down, and still somehow it's cloud illusions I recall. I really don't know clouds at all. I'm pretty sure they don't have flat bottoms though except in fanbrush paintings.

Relax Max said...

You've suddenly become brave, I see. Venturing out of your dank cave? :)

Adullamite said...

Max, Should you be up at this time of night? Especially singing like that!

Max, I wore dark glasses.....

Mike Smith said...

You need to get out more...

Adullamite said...

Mike, I laughed out loud at that....then spent the day indoors....