Monday 23 April 2012

I was Surprised...


I was surprised as I made my way through the town early this bright and sunny morning to find St Georges Day was being ignored by his people.  One pub was making money ready by flying four flags outside but no others bothered.  Has patriotism worn off I wonder?  Could it be people really are turned off so much by the English Defence League and other bams flying the English flag that they do not wish to be associated with it?  How strange!  Now I can understand most not wishing to be linked with the type who join the EDL, however your nation needs you, as someone once said?  Only the Irish seriously wish for a 'Saints Day' and that only for the Guinness!  However pride in a nation does not end because of toughs or the reformation.  The recession, being a Monday, and the dismal weather which poured from the sky all afternoon may well be dampening enthusiasm for the cause. English weather, sunshine & rain at the same time, does inhibit enthusiasm.  Possibly when the European Championships begin a flurry of flags will appear on vehicles passing by, and soon they will fill the wheely bins as England fail once again.  Brings a tear to the eye, don't it...?

.

5 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Funny thing is though, (i thought when reading your post) that I don't really remember a time when people did fly the English flag much The more of us that fly it the less it will be associated with the EDL etc. Not that I have a flag pole in my garden, or indeed a garden I could put a flag pole in.

red dirt girl said...

Where's the dragon?? If it is St. George's Day, doesn't it come ready made with a dragon ??

I love dragons!
xxx

Adullamite said...

The English always used the Union Flag as an English flag, hat is why I never use it. During Euro 96 they 'discovered' the St Georges flag and have used it ever since. Scots have always used the 'Saltire' & the 'Lion Rampant,' so any group using them would not stand out. People ought to be free to fly their own flag if they wish.

RDG, There are enough 'dragons' around here already I can tell you!

Relax Max said...

At first I didn't understand what the picture of the Alabama flag had to do with St. George's Day and wondered why the cross was on crooked, but I finally got it. That's pretty cool. Just don't start taking it to sporting events and chanting "USA! USA! USA!" or the English equivalent. (That would be "England! England! England!".) I know you would never personally do that.

Roll Tide.

Adullamite said...

Max, Alabama? What is that....?