Thursday 8 March 2012

Another Day in the Life......




Life changing moments come out of the blue.  You walk innocently under a bus, war breaks out when on holiday, your team loses to Hibernian, a disaster of such depth is never expected.  When I worked in the Infirmary the most common comment each day was !I never expected to be here today," but they were!  The other day I rose early and headed into the day.  I scanned the papers online and considered shopping for breakfast at 'Tesco's' more interesting.  When I returned I switched on the PC and sat mesmerised as smoke drifted slowly from the back of the brute and curled its way towards the dirty spot on the ceiling.  My brain numbed in the way politicians brains numb when asked to be honest and I cogitated ruefully on the disaster beside me.   When the smoke cleared, the burning smell abated, an aroma not dissimilar to my last stew I must say, I considered my options.  This I did in a mature manner. I curled up into a ball on the floor and let out a Munch like scream for an hour or so.  


The days following passed like a ten year jail sentence in solitary.  I did steal obtain a laptop, which it turned out required a 'wireless connection' which I don;t have.  That took days to arrive, locking me into an 18 month contract via an hour long call to Mumbai.  Using 'Windows7' it failed to link up with my e-mail, it does not connect with the printer, is desperately slow, distorts every time a car passes, took hours to install 'Windows Live' as an e-mail client which would not work, told me to verify, then told me nothing could be sent for several nonsensical reasons, the buttons are fiddly and this keyboard has keys in the wrong place for my fingers, hurts my eyes, and I have to re-install almost all my links, not counting the things I lost. 


The emptiness without contact with the real world!  Things were so bad at one time I went outside and spoke to people!  The radio, limited to the old set in the corner, gave me what it wanted, not what I wished to hear.  With no TV I could not see the meaningless empty guff that I would not watch anyway, but I could not use the BBC iPlayer where I can find things to watch, like football!  Life was almost dead, I felt bereft.  There was no help around, the only expert I knew left a while back to start a new life in the Orkneys!  However I have managed to get back online, send an e-mail telling folks to use the 'Google Mail' address, and discovered the 'Windows Live' sent out all the e-mail it told me it did not send out!  During the operation to set that piece of junk up I managed to use words I last used at Firhill Park, Glasgow in 1969!  On that occasion Partick Thistle beat us by five goals to nil, but they had the ball in our net TEN TIMES!  I did not realise those words still existed.  Of course 'Windows7' not connecting with my e-mail meant searching through the ISP to find it.  They, naturally, went down!  It took until today to find my mail and I had to sift through pages of stuff, and using a very poor system in comparison to 'Outlook Express' I must say.


The problem was I had no spare pc as backup.  The problem was I use the internet for everything now.  Research, blogs, e-mails, keeping in touch, reading intelligent folks like you, searching for work, sending out CV's to people to delete, listening to the radio, watching football, so many things go through the web that when it died I was at a loss.  It was as if I had gone deaf, blind and been locked in a desert island, a cold one at that!   Still I have some sort of connection now, and I can use this laptop from my bed rather than be trapped here all day, says he trapped here today.  


It shows I spend too much time on here, I managed to read vast pages of books during this time, in between curling up into a ball and bawling loudly enough for the neighbours to call the police twice.  That reminds me, I must thank that doctor who allowed me a double dose of Valium when he thought I was about to jump of that ledge.  The web is a place in which to live life.  Everything is here, good and bad, that an individual wishes for.  The only thing missing is the way to make money to cover the expenses incurred amid curses and tears over the last few days.  That is a problem I must now face.  The situation also reveals the weakness in our stuffed,self satisfied society, cut the electricity and we die!  Well, at least I almost did!



.

10 comments:

A. said...

I have been worried about you. I am happy to find that all I needed to worry about was a machine.

We do live in a virtual world these days. I remember enduring a 6 day power cut a few years BI (Before Internet). It made me realise how dependent on modern life we have become. It would be far worse now. But reading is good.

Adullamite said...

A, Life was a bit difficult before this. However the shock took me out of it a bit and forced me into some kind of life, mostly grumbling! :)
It will all sort itself out soon....


And the reading was good! As was your last blog post!

red dirt girl said...

Glad to see you're up and .. well, not necessarily running, but walking at least. I was worried about you.

Hope it all sorts out for you!
xxx

Mike Smith said...

Welcome back auld yin.

Adullamite said...

RDG,Thank you. xxx

Mike, Cheers.

soubriquet said...

I had wondered if you'd been recalled to Scotland, and given a castle, in preparation for indepence.

I feel your pain, having battled the demons of the dead and unresponsive computer not so long ago.
I kinda think I should get a second puter as a back-up device and as a way of finding out how to fix whatever ails the first one, because when I was struggling, all I could think was 'I bet I could find out how to fix this on google... If only it wasn't broken and incapable of getting to google.

Jenny Woolf said...

I laughed out loud at the cartoon. But I truly sympathised with the loss of the computer. Aargh! You are so right. We do live half our lives in cyberspace now and on the whole I think it is a very good thing to have those opportunities. .

Still there are other things worth doing. Talking to people (assuming you can find any - perhaps the solution to that one is to move to Ireland, it's not far and everyone seems very talkative there) Riding around on the bike, although you can't do that all the time, specially when it gets dark. Remembering that it is much better than ending up in hospital, to have your own carpet to roll around on.

I hope you can adjust to the new system soon. I find everything to do with the running of computers so incredibly boring that I can't bear the idea of having to redo it all. I really WOULD rather talk to people !

Adullamite said...

Soub, You are right about a back up pc. Something that enables you to search for help is a must! I will attempt to get the old one moving, parts are available, if they are the right part, and I will have a go sometime. We need a second pc.


Jenny, I think I might prefer a hospital to roll around in, the nurses might fix the pc!

soubriquet said...

Remember, if you get parts for the old computer, don't skimp. Regrind the big-ends, and get new piston too-high a compression ratio. rings. And don't try to re-use the old hard-drive gaskets, it's a false economy and leads to leakage.

I can advise you on getting leaked data out of the carpets if you need it.

Adullamite said...

Soub, That made me laugh out loud! Data in the carpets....:)