Tuesday 13 March 2012

1890



London 1890.  There is not much difference between the traffic then and the traffic now.  People meander across the road in a similar manner today, although there is not quite so much room in between vehicles.  The machines today are of course faster but a horse and cart was just as deadly.  In fact a man who;s name escapes me obtained permission to erect a traffic island in the middle of one road in an effort to make crossing safer.  When it was complete he was so excited he ran across to it and was killed by traffic!  You will note the police still question suspects, buses make up their own rules, and men stand around being important.  Women are to be found there but most will be elsewhere, in the shopping districts!






10 comments:

A. said...

I don't think the traffic moves at all now.

Gail said...

I would love to see London then or now!

If you disable word verification, it may encourage more comments.

Adullamite said...

A, I saw it move one Tuesday!

Gail, It is worth a look, if you like crowds. The new verification is a stinker, but without it Spam erupts!

Mo said...

Victorian gridlock same as outside my window.
i hate the word verification too.

Jenny Woolf said...

When I look at these old pictures I always imagine the smell from the horse droppings. I can see a few on the road just there.
I'm trying to figure out where in London this could be, I don't recognise the church spire in the distance.

Adullamite said...

Mo, The new verification is awful I agree. So is traffic.

Jenny, This is East Cheapside. Much of it may well look the same today. The horses did lead to very good roses!

alan1704 said...

I like the Copper passing the time of day with to fine gentlemen. It's a great photo capturing a bygone age.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, How wrong can I be!
A quick check via googlemaps shows the whole place ir renovated! Only the church tower remains and all else is gone, including the church itself. Blitz I suppose.

Mike Smith said...

To think this was 12 years before Hibs last won the Scottish Cup...

Adullamite said...

Mametz, it is indeed a fine pic, although the cop probably bashed them when the camera moved on....

Mike, What made you think of that....?