Monday 2 January 2012

Ne'erday Derby



Sadly the New Years Day Derby has to take place a day late these days, tradition sometimes changes after all. However one tradition has not changed, the traditional Christmas Stuffing the Heart of Midlothian give to the Hibernian each Mid Winter.  The Glasgow based media are not inclined to withhold their animosity towards the Heart of Midlothian, especially since Chairman Vlad Romanov spoke out about their anti Hearts and pro Old Firm bias, referred to them as 'Monkeys,' and filled the press room at the ground with bananas!  Daily we see attacks on the Heart of Midlothian, until today unanswered as the club (that is Vlad) decided not to communicate with the media, and the clubs financial problems made into headlines at all times even though Rangers football club are indeed in dire straights.  Rangers as you are aware owe £49 million to the taxman, their new chairman has a business record that has caused consternation among the clubs better supporters and yet nothing is said in the media about this!   One story concentrates on the Heart of Midlothian delaying payment of wages to the players.  One thought is that this is because the bank behind the club has money troubles caused by the recession, another view is Vlad is delaying payment, by a month or more, to 'encourage' the better paid players to move on to other clubs!  Ian Black was thus found helping a mate redecorate  and the story was given much publicity that he had to do this to pay for his family.  I suspect his wage is sufficient for him to survive a month without payment without earning cash from friends.  However any story that makes the Hearts look bad gets good coverage.


Today therefore the Hearts traveled to Leith to meet the wee team with empty pockets but much more ability! The Hibernian journeymen (and where should this lot journey to I ask?) were brushed aside in spite of their thuggish brutal attacks on our players, and Ian Black in particular.  Clearly 'Blackie' was here to show them some revenge, and so he did, manfully baring the abuse (four ought to have been cautioned and only was was!) and running the game from start to finish.  We will ignore the missed penalty, that was just to rub it in at the end I suspect.  The 'jibe' about painting is the reason he showed of the T-shirt with "I'll paint this place Maroon," at the end.  However in my view the man of the match was in fact our left back Ryan McGowan. 'Gowser,' an Australian, gave the 'headless chicken' Ivan Sproule a torrid time, except when assaulted by the thug and he then reacted somewhat foolishly by headbanging the neds stomach.  Good refereeing allowed both off and 'Gowser' can happily go home rejoicing in a great victory and knowing he was the scorer of the first goal!  An enthusiastic performer, our of position, and bang on form, great player.  I just hope Manchester United were not looking, they canny afford him!  Apart from ten minutes after the break when Hibs attempted a new tactic, they passed the ball to one another, there was little to fear. The resulting three one victory, with substitute John Sutton arriving to play well and create two goals and finish them off, was well deserved.  The team spirit and solidarity showed from start to finish from the 'Maroons,' and the money troubles that create so much press has never affected their performances.  


A quick glance at the London Hearts site shows that 'Dave' the author has not made it home yet. So I will update you on the simple facts regarding this game.  So far the Heart of Midlothian have won 276 derbies of all types, Hibs have won only 200.  In doing this the Hearts have scored 1065 goals, Hibs a paltry 892, and I can assure you many that I saw were either 'offside,' or favouritism from referees! This may well be the most one sided Derby in the world!  I once met a Hibernian fan in London, he was in the hospital where I worked,his illness?  Blackouts and depression!  No wonder!


In these lazy days around the festive season I have spent hours stealing football matches on my PC.  Normally I dislike doing this but I really cannot afford 'Sky,' which I would have otherwise.  I am managing two or three games a day at the moment, or at least bits of games, and in opposition to this TV offers absolutely nothing!  How sad is this?  Still, I am happy, especially after today.  I just wish I was in Edinburgh so I could walk into work tomorrow and smile smugly at the Hibbys around me, not that I am one to gloat when my fellow man is down mind, but in this instance it is allowable!





.

2 comments:

Mike Smith said...

Another easy win for the volunteers!

Adullamite said...

Mike, Indeed!