Monday 16 January 2012

The Bike



The sun was shining, the sky was blue, so this afternoon, once I had worked up the courage, I got out onto the bike for the first time in two months.  I had decided yesterday that another exercise period was required, so this morning I attempted just that and in the afternoon I jumped on the rusting old bike and pedaled around for twenty minutes. The sun may have been shining but the wind was coming from the east, via Siberia, so while my genteel hands were warm and cosy in the gloves my face took an instant dislike to being frozen.  Once home I walked around the town continuing to being frozen but the only way to avoid the knees freezing up also!


This little trip made me wonder how, in 1974, I had managed to cycle from Edinburgh to London!  I had the idea that this would be a cheap holiday so I decided to by a bike!  Now remember that I had not ridden a bike for about ten years yet I searched the papers and found one on sale for £18!  I made my way to the south east of the city and bought a bike from a man who told me that the owner had, "Gone to Australia."  I found myself wondering in he knew he had emigrated.  However I got on the bike, somewhat shakily, and suddenly remembered I had miles to go through Edinburgh streets.  I cannot recall the journey but I suspect it was not straight forward.  A few weeks later I set off on my journey.  Today, having developed the brain a bit better, I would spend six months training for this venture, checking the food I ate, stocking up on carbohydrates and the like.  Then I just jumped on the bike, a packet of sandwiches and a few bags of raisins and nuts or some such, and discovered this was not going to be as easy as I thought.  Cycling to work was one thing, cycling with packs on the bike another, and it rained!


It tool me two hours to be clear of Edinburgh as I wandered through Leith and Musselburgh heading for the A1 and the road south.  It did not take the rest of the week to make me realise I was a clown!  Cycling the back roads of the A1 was pleasant to look at, but the up and down nature of the roads got very wearing, especially as old men on ancient bikes swept past me contemptuously.  Averaging fifty miles a day (today about three!) I made it in a week.  I stopped at a couple of Youth Hostels for the first two nights and was not impressed, so stayed in a couple of pubs and a couple of boarding houses after this.  The locals were friendly and while they considered me an idiot they managed not to do this to my face.  I don't know why, I agreed with them!  Had I been making a telly programme about this I would find adventures, women, excitement, women, crimes, women, rich rewards, women, interesting places full of the rich with women, but as it was just me I merely took a fifty mile shortcut that took me a mere ten miles further on one day, and no women!  The wind, naturally, was constantly against me, the rain knew where I was, I discovered that 'Mild' was acceptable beer, that 15th century pubs bedrooms floors sank in the middle, and that when you pass the Hartlepool United Football Club doorway you are miles of course. I intended to ride through York but took the wrong road and went around it and couldn't be bothered to go back, I stopped to take a picture of the lovely pink sunset over the 'Selby Oil & Cake Works,' forgetting the 'Instamatic' had a Black & White film inside,  and that road signs saying 'Village 1 mile,' are followed at 30 yards by another claiming 'Village 1/2 mile.'  


I suppose it was worth it but how I did it I do not know.  The bike was sent back via a carrier, and took 8 days to arrive, and I returned by train!  No fool me.  Had I the energy would I do this again? Yes, but with a bit more planning this time, and a car as back up!  I used the bike a lot in those days, for work and pleasure.  I cycled over the Forth Bridge and back via Kincardine, up into the lower Pentlands, struggling up the slope, and racing back as Edinburgh slopes down to the Forth so I got home a lot quicker than I went out! The only problem with the bike was that twice the tyre exploded in the middle of the night while at home!  We never worked that one out.  The 'Sun' racer was a good bike for me, but I prefer my present ageing one I must admit.  Maybe I had better try another trip tomorrow as they claim snow is on the way.  Hopefully it will remain in Scotland, where it belongs!





.

13 comments:

soubriquet said...

That's pretty amazing.
By 1974, I was the proud owner of a shiny green Peugeot touring bike, but I never embarked on any journey that matched yours. I don't think I could have afforded it, either... staying in pubs? Ha. They were the days of leaky tents, and coppering up to see if I could afford another pint.

I remember the Selby Oil and Cake Mills, my uncle used to buy feed there for the farm. They used to process the waste from the sugar mill there, I remember the smell, not unpleasant, just.. sniffsniff?

If you can't remember any of your adventures along the journey, invent a few... it's a cool thing to have done.

red dirt girl said...

A wandering man on his bicycle ... were you perhaps a poetic troubadour??

I'm mightily impressed with your marathon ride. There was a time (long long ago) that I really fancied taking a bike tour across Europe with one of those expensive, fancy outfits who organize such things (luscious meals, wine, massages at the end of the day's ride.) Alas, no more. My poor knees would never survive. Neither would my pocketbook!

xxx

Martyn said...

Interesting....the bag on the floor beside the racing bike. How the hell did you manage to cycle from Edinburgh to London in seven days with a bag over your head. That's amazing.

Adullamite said...

Soub, It was indeed cheap, or I wouldn't do it! Invent things? I might yet get a TV programme out of it.

RDG, I am certainly no poet, unless I don't know it! Cycle tours are a god idea, if you are fit.

Martyn, I told you I took the wrong road!

Unknown said...

It sounded like a great adventure to me. Although, methinks you may have embellished a wee bit. For I cannot imagine there being anything genteel about you.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, Genteel by name, and by nature, unless you knock on the door!

Jenny Woolf said...

That trip must have been fun. We cycled London to Scotland in 2006 and wonder if I could do it now but it was one of the best trips of my life almost bar none. Though cycling in Greece was also great in March and cheaper too in those days (late 80s) but these days you can't get your own bike to Greece in a cheap way and I believe prices are now high

Mind you it took 3 weeks London to Scotland. It hardly rained which helped a lot. Hope you can do some more cycling. I try to go places by bike if I can to keep my knees functioning.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Taking 3 weeks seems wise to me! Cycling back roads is great enjoyment I find. Roll on Spring.

Relax Max said...

How do you remember all this stuff? Such detail! A brief overview would have been boring enough, but this! Oh, my! Heh. Kidding. Tres interesting. I liked the telly women dream best, next to the unimpressive hostel. Whatever that is. Here we have hostile youth.

I could tell you stories of my own glory days. I once rode a train from Biloxi to New Orleans when I was 19. Didn't have to pedal though, so not so difficult as yours. No womens either.

Relax Max said...

Of course, cycling from Scotland to London would be all downhill, according to my Google map. It would be harder going back uphill to Scotland. No, sir. You can't have that and mine too.

Adullamite said...

Max, There was a programme in the 60's 'Route 66.' This featured to young guys travelling down the road having adventures. It must have been a long road as it lasted for years!
I wanted something similar, it didn't happen!

Max, But I was against the wind!

Relax Max said...

I sort of remember the tv program about adventuring on route 66. Or maybe my grandpa told me about it. At any rate they were driving a corvette, not riding bikes. That's how you get women and adventure, boy. Superficial women, to be sure, but...

goatman said...

It's the seat I object to.
If "they" could only come up with a decent seat -- seems simple!