Thursday 22 September 2011

A Life on the Ocean Wave, sort off....

.

During the years of London life I took a real fancy to living on one of these narrowboats that are found on Britain's canals.  While in times past these boats were the main trunkroads from the late 1700's until the railways arrived and more or less put most off them out of business today they form the living quarters of some who cannot afford house prices or wish for a different kind of existence.  Many of course are used as holiday lets and groups or families will travel at a reckless 4 miles an hour along the canals, stopping off at Marinas or perhaps making do with a quiet backwater.  With London towering all around me I thought the idea of sitting at the back of one of these boats, whatever the weather, drinking my coffee and enjoying the greenery around looked like a scene from paradise. OK, I might fall into one of the locks now and again, but you cannot get everything can you? It still appears quite attractive although I can see the sky these days and the desperate desire for grass, sky and the refreshment of body and spirit that creation gives has lessened somewhat because of where I now dwell.  One day, when rich, I might make one of these my escape to the country for a weekend, if I can afford the boat, the berth fees, the maintenance costs, and so on and on and on.  It might be cheaper than a house but finding a quiet berth, paying the costs, and then avoiding holiday makers escaping London would be a pain!  However I continue to dream....




.

4 comments:

red dirt girl said...

Quite a romantic existence, until that berth window leaks water into your face all night ... here's hoping you win the lottery!

xxx

Unknown said...

Well, they are about plumb ugly to look at, but I can see where living on one of those boats could be a very enjoyable experience. On the Highlander television series, Duncan MacLeod lived on something similar during his time in Paris.

Adullamite said...

RDG, Ah yes, leaks do make a difference.

Fish, Ugly?

A. said...

I've tried a holiday on the canals in Holland. Let's say two young boys don't enhance the experience. It was more stress than the average holiday. All that water to fall into.