Friday 9 July 2010

Writing


I acquired the Snoopy cartoon from another site, one written far better than this will ever be, but I was really taken with the theme. I have, as you know, written several books, one even getting to page two before I deleted it and burst into tears. I have sat looking at the PC, through strained eyes, filled with floating specks, and numb of mind. Inspiration would not come and yet I had a desire, a real hunger to write something, anything! However the question is 'What to write?' There is no use just babbling along like a panellist on 'Loose Woman,' is there? You need a purpose, something to say, an idea bursting to get out and change the world for the better! I often have such moments, such as when in the bath, on a bus, or burning toast, but when I get to the PC there is nothing there! It's gone, lost forever. Anything that ends up on screen is a pale imitation of the wondrous thoughts that went before, and have now just went! How on earth did people write in days of yore? Thucydides wrote his epic on the Peloponnesian War over a period of 27 years! How many scrolls of parchment did he use? Josephus settled in Rome to write huge long books, about the Jewish War and their Jewish History, as well as defending himself against his detractors. How did they do this? Trollope was employed by the Post Office to run the mail service in Ireland. In between creating the pillar box he write hundreds of books, letters, articles, and so on, often on trains or in a horse and carriage, and in long hand at that! Yet I sit here with PC and spellchecker facing blankness, hold on I am looking into the mirror there, let me change position. 

Several times I have started writing the History of the Great War. Several times I have realised I was a clown and stopped. In the meantime at least five new such histories have appeared while I sit here wondering how to begin the first line! I suspect a novel (a novel is nothing but a story, but do not tell novelists as they think what they write is life changing. Actually it is just a story made up so the world can be made they way they wish it to be. And they one day will know it isn't really.) as I said, I suspect a novel is easier to write. However you begin you can change it to suit yourself! Factual writing is harder, as you can see here, as there are always wingers who will point out your many mistakes, deliberate lies and similarity to a newspaper in that your style stinks and your writing is tosh! So maybe I ought to try this story writing stuff.  OK.

It was a dark and stormy night, well actually the sun was shining brightly and........







.

5 comments:

Mike Smith said...

I can think of no one finer to write on the History of the Great War - particularly as you were witness to it...

Relax Max said...

Look at it from the Tommy Cooper point of view: ditch the PC, get a Mac.

Or...

Maybe there IS something to this made up storytelling kind of writing. Maybe you could make up a story about the Great War.

Wait, Ernest Hemingway already did that.

For starters, you can stop using words like Thucydides and Peloponnesian, and stop talking about Jewish Trollops at war, eh?

But a story about running the Irish Post Office? Wow! Now there's a winner.

Listen Laddie, write what you are passionate about and you will never be blocked, PC or no PC. And STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE MIGHT THINK OF IT OR WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN!

Because nobody has ever, or can ever, write like you.

Relax Max said...

I'm glad it's the wee hours of the morning now, where you live, and you are sound asleep and you will never discover I have defaced your blog until I am far, far away.

But then, I am ALWAYS far, far away.

Never mind.

Adullamite said...

Why get a mac? It's not raining?

A. @ A Changing Life said...

To write a novel, you need a M-E-S-S-A-G-E. Non fiction is easier, no message needed, just facts.