Friday 4 December 2009

Wahing Machine


My new machine arrived today, and I happily encouraged the chaps as the took the very heavy old one down the awkward, difficult stairs, and then brought the heavy new one up the awkward, difficult stairs again. I gave them 20 as a tip, I thought they deserved it. I just hope it doesn't stick in any vending machine they use.
To install I undid the screws as instructed, then put them back as I had taken the back of and not the three screws holding the spacers! I inserted the water inlet pipe in place, then reinserted the inlet pipe and ensured it was tightened properly this time, and shoved the drain hose into place in the standpipe.
Following instructions I set it going, carefully selecting the appropriate setting for the first trial wash to clear any gunge that had developed doing construction. I then stood nonplussed until I realised the electric plug was not switched on. Once I had moved it out once again and flicked the switch (what numpty put the plug there?) and waited. It worked!
It was so quiet! The previous old machine was like a steam roller when it got going and then much more when the spinning started! The whole building shook! My neighbours were not always pleased at this. This one was amazingly quiet. Even when the spin cycle was working. However as always my luck was, well, my luck. Suddenly there was a splashing sound as the drain hose had left the standpipe and was emptying out all over the floor! This was a nuisance I thought. Tsk! However by making use of the sink I managed to overcome this problem but still cannot work out how to ensure the standpipe takes the water away without having to stand over the sink ensuring the hose does not drown the building. Naturally I am working in a confined space and have already pulled three muscles, bruised several body parts and await the stiffness in the morning.
Labour saving devices are great are they not?

2 comments:

Mike Smith said...

I also have a new washing machine, due to arrive on Monday. Being utterly useless with my hands, as the infamous Mrs Smith will tell you, I'm parting with £17 to allow a professional to plumb it in and take the old one away (the washing machine, not Mrs Smith. Although...)

Martyn said...

"The previous old machine was like a steam roller when it got going and then much more when the spinning started!"....it must be the same make as the one we have at our village house in Thailand or just outside the back door to be precise.

I have thought many times on hearing the racket it makes that I must take it apart and rebalance it but...the loud noise and shaking that comes from it transfixes and fascinates me and I just stare and wonder how the hell any company had the cheek to sell it and how on earth it keeps going.

I reckon it probably scares the snakes off as well.