Tuesday 2 September 2008

Tuesday


What a wasted day!
I have a list of things written out and so far only one has reached completion.
The rain was a quite heavy this morning and as an ex postman I felt it my duty to respond in the time honoured fashion. This requires that I stand at the window, coffee cup in hand, waving in a cheery manner to all passing postmen. Naturally I intended this action to encourage those who find themselves wrapped up in bright orange Royal Mail uniforms, hoods up and sodden mailbags catching raindrops efficiently. I am not sure they were too encouraged although most waved, in a wide variety of fashions it must be said, and some informed me of their opinions of the day. This I failed to hear as the window was closed to keep the wet out, but I think I understood quite well.

Yet enjoyable as this was it meant nothing was done. Sloth set in, an attempt at job searching failed miserably as a deep depression crossed my mind as wandered through the vacancies, and a desire to read football message boards took over. Even they did not satisfy. However the news that Kevin Keegan was leaving Newcastle was worth taking an interest in. Some folks who buy football clubs have no idea how to run them. This American who bought the club is too keen on show, standing on the terracing with the fans, and too little understanding of the game, he employed Dennis Wise the failed manager of Millwall and Leeds United! The impression is that he has put Keegan in a difficult position, discovered the fans are on Keegan's side and now changed his mind about forcing him out. Poor show all round.

There are other clubs taken over by foreign Johnny's, and two of them are American. Liverpool have well known problems caused by the lack of knowledge of the game possessed, or not, by the two owners. To them it is a 'franchise,' an idea alien to football in the UK, or indeed anywhere else bar the US. This causes friction between them and the manager and will lead to failure before long. Aston Villa however have also been taken over by a Yank yet they are racing ahead with development of the side. A good manager, much cash to bring in players, and already they have climbed the table and will be a real threat to the top four clubs this season. Good management, wise delegation to those who know, and success has a chance. Newcastle and Liverpool need to learn from Villa.

See! It's easy to sort other folks problems. I think I will become a counsellor! Bring me your difficult cases and I will give you common sense answers. What's the going rate? £20, £30? Actually anything over 4 pence would be a start....... Talking of starting, maybe I should restart this list marked 'Urgent' 'Do Now!'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why you need to strike the lottery, mate. With your brains I'd love for you to take over Liverpool from those two Yanks!

You can also buy me a one-way ticket to the U.K., a humble abode on Merseyside, and lifetime season passes to all matches, but I know my priorities -- a takeover is more urgent!

Adullamite said...

Typical! I haven't got the cash yet and already he's spent it all!