Sunday 28 September 2008

Car



Fancy a car? This one has been parked here for at least twelve years that I know off, it is possible it has been there for considerably longer than that. The large house appears somewhat run down, and gives the impression of a once rich occupant living out their old age. The room on the first floor has a single bare light bulb hanging forlornly. It is always on, night and day. The garden is somewhat unkempt, the conservatory to the side in need of tender loving care. Nobody ever appears to move in or out.

That someone lives there still is sure, I remember delivering post there some time ago, and up close the somewhat melancholic air is clear. Now I am not the nosey type, hiding behind the plant in their window watching neighbours come and go - usually. However I want to know the story of people who allow such a building to decay slowly. If this is an old person, where are the relatives? If there is a death there will be a desperate bid to sell this place, for a minimum of £350-400,000 even in this condition. The credit crunch will not stop some paying more for the house in good condition. Considering the car was old twenty years ago, and the care not being taken on the house I just feel sad for the people involved. They may well be content and happy, but the baleful outlook reflects on the person, or persons, inside.

3 comments:

Mike Smith said...

I'm quite partial to a clapped out old banger. I've been married to one for 26 years...

Gerry Hatrić said...

LOL, Mike.

I think my parents owned a car like that - looks like an Austin wotsit.

BTW, Graham, sorry but you are the very deserving recipient of an award I've created.

http://mulledvine.blogspot.com/2008/09/barnabas-award.html

Unknown said...

Barnabas, not Barnabus, Mappet.