Friday 22 February 2008

I've Done it Again!


I've done it again!
After climbing out of my bed, washing my face and this time remembering to take my glasses of first I wandered through to the west wing and made what passes for a 'healthy breakfast.'

After this mound of 'Bran Flakes' covered in raisins and oats I dumped the bowl alongside the rest of the weeks used crockery and made the tea. The kettle (£4:98 from Tesco) came shaking and steaming to the boil, I poured the water over the milk and tea bag (Half price Somerfields) and brewed the concoction with the aid of a dirty spoon (Charity shop 5p). Job done, as well as possible, I returned to my post at the broken laptop (Crooked second hand dealership) and placed the mug in its rightful place.

It was then I realised I had done it again!
I already had a mug of stewed tea sitting there quietly awaiting me spilling it all down my ageing fleece! What is going on in this mind? I forget things like this all the time. I would say it is the beginning of Althez...altezhi, altzleh..going gaga if it was not for the fact this habit has been with me always. I am scared to open that storage cupboard now, just in case a body falls out, someone I forgot I accidentally locked in. Which reminds me, there was a thump thump sound a wee while back that I don't hear nowadays.......

8 comments:

Helen said...

Oh, you do that too! how very reassuring!

Lance said...

Wonderful post!

Carol said...

haha this cracked me up! :) You just woke up and still had cobwebs - I wouldn't worry about it. (check that storage cupboard just in case) hahaha

1st Lady said...

I've got into a bad habit of opening the packet of sweetener, pouring it into the bin, then throwing the wrapper into the bin, and then walking off with my unsweetened morning coffee.. did it today too!

Anonymous said...

Now, what was it I wanted to say to you re: this post...?

Gerry Hatrić said...

I'd check the storage cupboard - it might be you in there and you are in actual fact a ghost who has somehow managed to interact with our world sufficiently to enable you to amuse us with your blog.

MozartMissy said...

Oh...I forgot one thing: Gordon Seagrove worked for a company in Chicago for several years as well (before moving to New York). Here's a slogan he created in Chicago:

Halitosis: J. W. Lambert, a St. Louis druggist, had invented Listerine as a surgical
antiseptic; later it was marketed for throat infections. But sales were sluggish. In 1922
Gerard Lambert, son of the founder, called in Milton Feasley and Gordon Seagrove from the
firm's Chicago ad agency, Williams & Cunnyngham. The three men threw around various
new uses for Listerine. How about bad breath? someone suggested. No good, they agreed,
you can't refer to bad breath in polite company. No better ideas came forth, though. Lambert
asked a company chemist whether Listerine had any effect on bad breath. Yes, the report
came back, "Listerine is good for halitosis." Good for what? Nobody had heard of the word
before, so it was adopted as a sober, medical-sounding way of referring to the
unmentionable. Feasley and Seagrove returned to Chicago and wrote a series of ads. "Even
your best friend won't tell you," one ad warned. This "advertising by fear"--or"whisper copy," as Feasley called it-was soon running
in eighty magazines and over three hundred newspapers. Lambert and Feasley moved to
New York and started their own agency. The Listerine campaign contributed catch phrases
and new anxieties to everyday conversations. The headline "Often a Bridesmaid But Never a
Bride" continued, with different copy and illustrations, for over three decades. After only five
years of warning about halitosis, Listerine was spending an annual ad budget of $5 million
and making a net profit of over $4 million. Cynical about his own success, at parties in
Lambert's home Feasley would amuse people by reading his ads aloud. After his death in
1926 Seagrove came to New York and took over the copywriting. Other uses for the product
were devised, but Seagrove never strayed too far from the main pitch.

http://www.ciadvertising.org/studies/course/syllabi_grad/theory_readings/Mir3-4.pdf

I copied and pasted this URL, but I went to double check it just now and it won't work, but I'm sure if you type in keywords, you will find this info!

MozartMissy said...

Where is my other post?

It said Gordon Seagrove is the composer/creator of "You'll Wonder Where the Yellow Went When You Brush Your Teeth With Pepsodent!"

He is a third or fourth cousin of mine, and was a very generous, talented, gifted, Christian man. He wrote many famous jingles and slogans, working in Chicago for years (see my post about Listerine), then later moving to New York, where he worked for the company that made the slogan "When It Rains It Pours" for Mortan Salt.

-Missy, from Michigan